I ❤️ my WSM

Steve Madden

TVWBB Super Fan
Put three large racks of baby backs on the top shelf around 10:40 this morning. Three foiled bricks in water pan, minion method. The part I love is that once I got it dialed in, I had the confidence in it to leave the house long enough to buy a car and then come home to find these around 5 hours in. Probably a little overdone on the ends but otherwise just how I like them. (There is a foiled brick under the middle rack.)

CFB21F61-D04F-46DD-BD77-685104E8D09B.jpeg

Good lookin ribs Steve! I can certainly relate to your post. I have put ribs in my wsm over the years and ran errands for a few hours with high confidence in it holding my desired temp.

Ribs look awesome! The WSM is such a great smoker. Once you've invested the time to learn how yours likes to be ran, and gotten a good "seasoning" on it, it's as close to set it and forget as you can have in a charcoal smoker! I'm gonna go against the grain here, and say smoking ribs was the main reason I got rid of my 18" and bought a used 22". I already he a homemade to ale pot smoker, and I didn't like the way I had to cram 3 racks of ribs on the top of my 18. The 22 is a gas hog for sure, but I sure do like all the real estate I have on the top shelf. Again, Steve your ribs look fantastic, I'll take a plate full if there's any leftovers!!
Tim

First new car I’ve ever bought and replacing a 2004 Grand Cherokee with 235,000 miles.

A man after my own heart, but this is a little worrisome SM.

I eventually had to relent to the Mrs. demands that I move on from my 2001 SUV with 215k on it. I really was hoping to get it to 250k, but it was not to be.

So I replaced it with a swanky Mercedes SUV, which is great. Should have done it sooner. But, come on, I'm not going to buy new. Certified pre-owned with about 11k miles on it.

Good god SM, who are you? Buying a brand new car? Think it is time for a TVWBB intervention.

I'm gonna go against the grain here, and say smoking ribs was the main reason I got rid of my 18" and bought a used 22". I already he a homemade to ale pot smoker, and I didn't like the way I had to cram 3 racks of ribs on the top of my 18.

An 18 inch circle is not the ideal form factor for a rib cooker. You can make the 18 work (I like the Hunsaker rib hanger in my 18), but a 22 inch circle or a rectangle is better rib geometry.

First new car I’ve ever bought and replacing a 2004 Grand Cherokee with 235,000 miles.

A man after my own heart, but this is a little worrisome SM.

I eventually had to relent to the Mrs. demands that I move on from my 2001 SUV with 215k on it. I really was hoping to get it to 250k, but it was not to be.

So I replaced it with a swanky Mercedes SUV, which is great. Should have done it sooner. But, come on, I'm not going to buy new. Certified pre-owned with about 11k miles on it.

Good god SM, who are you? Buying a brand new car? Think it is time for a TVWBB intervention.
Lol. I’ll tell ya Jim that was exactly what I set out to do this time, and what I did 15 years ago with that GC. But the price difference between new and a year or two old with 20k miles came down to a grand or two. If you asked me a year ago I would have told you I would never buy a new car. Used car markets are just crazy right now.

I'm gonna go against the grain here, and say smoking ribs was the main reason I got rid of my 18" and bought a used 22". I already he a homemade to ale pot smoker, and I didn't like the way I had to cram 3 racks of ribs on the top of my 18.
I already have a homemade tamale pot smoker, and I didn't like the way I had to cram 3 racks of ribs on the top of my 18.

Just in case the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, and fire pits is worried.

My fat fingers and mind took longer to type this than

Back