I’m getting too old for this kind of stuff.

If it's only 8' away from the overhead power lines, call the power company and suggest that that it might be a good idea to take it down before it causes a problem, and that you're willing to give them easy access.
Most of my neighborhood is like that. Every spring Com-Ed sends crews of tree trimmers ( subs ) around cutting back branches.
I talked to the supervisor and got the same quote.

Here if an offending tree is within 35’ of the street it is the city’s responsibility to remove dangerous trees. Whe. Consumers power was doing all kinds of work around here I chatted with the guys and that’s what they told me about a dead Ashin my front yard. I had the city take it down in more manageable pieces and a buddy helped me cut it down for the fireplace. They were very happy to NOT have to load and haul it! They weren’t tree surgeons by any means, really just big guys with chainsaws!

No overhead power lines here. I had one large maple removed from the front of my house next to the drive a while back. Whole job done for about $800. Including the stump. But, then that was accessible. They had to bring that 50' boom truck into my yard and not ruin the lawn. Quite the feat

Madrone is a great hardwood, burns hot and not a lot of ash. Make a outdoor firepit and you’re set for some great evenings next year

Most of my neighborhood is like that. Every spring Com-Ed sends crews of tree trimmers ( subs ) around cutting back branches.
I talked to the supervisor and got the same quote.
The cynical side of me says that he's trying to double dip by getting you to pay for it and charging the utility as well. At least, if you've informed the utility (not the trimming crews.....,) there's a little more culpability on the utility's part if the tree does damage the lines.

The lake where I grew up is the high rent district. Lots, when you can find them for sale, are going for several thousand dollars per running foot of shore line, and they're all heavily forested. Power lines are all overhead. The land owners scream absolute bloody murder when the trimming crews try to do their job, harass the hell out of the crews and have tied the utility up legally on occasion. Yet, they're the first ones to complain loudly about extended outages after wind storms. Go figure.

The cynical side of me says that he's trying to double dip by getting you to pay for it and charging the utility as well. At least, if you've informed the utility (not the trimming crews.....,) there's a little more culpability on the utility's part if the tree does damage the lines.
That was the Com-Ed rep I talked to. They will cut down trees if they think it's a problem. He didn't.

Guy quoted me 3 G for my 70' Norway maple. It's in a bad spot, behind the garage and 8' from overhead power lines.
Can't use a small lift ( not enough boom ) and don't have the clearance to get a big one back there so it's all climbing the old school way.
There's a big chinese elm - probably at least 50' - in the back yard and extremely close to the house, and not practical for a DIY removal so I'll be getting an estimate for removal. I expect it to be a painful number, but last weekend it dropped a big dead limb on the roof and while there was no damage, next time I might not be so lucky.

We had 3 big madrone trees that were endangering the house that I needed gone.
If you needed the house gone, why did the trees matter?;)

There's a big chinese elm - probably at least 50' - in the back yard and extremely close to the house, and not practical for a DIY removal so I'll be getting an estimate for removal. I expect it to be a painful number, but last weekend it dropped a big dead limb on the roof and while there was no damage, next time I might not be so lucky.

;)
Not many chinese elms that big around any more. A winery near us lost one like than in a storm last year, lucky it fell without damage.

Not many chinese elms that big around any more.
Unfortunately, we have some here. We've been figuring tree maintenance every couple of years until they're gone. This entire neighborhood as planted in with those in the mid 90's simply because they grew fast. We are going to have to start looking into some better shade trees, probably 3-5" trunks, as replacements.

Unfortunately, we have some here. We've been figuring tree maintenance every couple of years until they're gone. This entire neighborhood as planted in with those in the mid 90's simply because they grew fast. We are going to have to start looking into some better shade trees, probably 3-5" trunks, as replacements.
I remember when I was a kid in Chicago. All the side streets lined in elm trees and when we rode our bikes it was like riding through a green cathedral. Then Dutch Elm disease came in and all wiped out. Was pretty sad as a kid to not have them, or the burning leaf piles at the curb and neighbors out talking, having a beer and such.

I had a friend who asked me and another friend to come over while she cut down a tree in her backyard
OUR job was to try and push it away from the house if it didn't fall right
Sure. Whatever you say Jeannie
Luckily, we didn't have to "act" like we were going to do any such thing as her cut was true and straight!

Back