HS Graduation Pork Shoulder

Jim Bounds

TVWBB Fan
I've got 4 kids and the youngest is graduating from HS this Friday. I foresee the future and it is an 'empty nest'! My wife and I decided to throw a graduation party this past Sunday along with another couple whose kid is a buddy of my son. I was hosting. I was in charge of 4 - 10 pound pork shoulders. They were in charge of their famous New Orleans Crawfish boil. 50 pounds of crawfish. We invited over 120 people. Picked up the pork shoulders from Wilson Meats in Catlett, VA: a nondescript hole in the wall with excellent meats/cheeses and always fresh and high quality. Dry-brined the shoulders Friday morning in salt. My wife convinced me to smoke on Saturday and reheat on Sunday to ensure i was well rested. I agreed with some trepidation b/c i have never 're-heated' such a large quantity of Pulled Pork. Small quantities on stovetop - yes. Dreaming of PP, I ended up waking at 0200 and prepping the shoulders with Dizzy Dust from Dizzy Pig. The obligatory shoulder shot:

By the time the 22" WSM was up to temps it was:

The WSM was chugging along for a few hours at 225-235 as the sun came up:

I have never smoked this much meat at once on the 22" WSM and the four shoulders fit fine, but not much room left. Ambient temps from Low 60's to low 70's. The top rack 2 shoulders were done in 10.5 hours. I was using water in the pan. I wrapped the first 2 shoulders in foil and put into a faux cambro and moved the 2 bottom rack shoulders up top and continued smoking for another 2 hours! They were at 170 when i moved them while the 2 I foiled were at 195. Quite the difference between the two heat zones. I'm sure the normal temp gradient between the top and bottom rack was further influenced by a full water pan.

Pulled the last two at 195:

Let them rest with in faux cambro for another 1.5 hours. Pulled them (bone fell out) and put them into 6 disposable aluminum trays and covered with foil.
I do not have a pulled pork pic, but we all know what that looks like. Sunday I spritzed with apple juice and mixed up the PP. Spritzed again and mixed. Did this 4 times then poured a small amount on top for good measure, re-foiled and into oven at 275 for @ 45 minutes. Served.

It was fantastic. I expected leftovers, but as I heated each tray and put out for guests.... all gone 4 hours later!

Lessons Learned: Water Pan worked magic inside the smoker, but need to take into account temp gradient and cooking each shoulder to TEMP not TIME. Dry-brining is the way to go. Yes, you can reheat PP to perfection as long as you add a bit of apple juice for moisture and mix in good.

Next Time: Putting rubs on Pork Shoulder is a labor of love, but I wonder if it really makes a difference? By the time you pull all this meat the rub flavor is lost in and you are left with pure and simple pork taste perfection and not the taste of the rub. Gets lost in the quantity of meat. I may go old school next time and just dry brine then pepper and let the "hog do the talking" without expensive rub slathered all around.

What do you all think about eliminating the 'rub' for such large hunks of meat?

Last edited:
Wow, those are some gorgeous pork shoulders. Congrats on the graduation. Our family had one too but I didn't do the cooking.

Some good looking pork there and PP does not last at my house.....lol....... I have had my brother-in-laws stand there in conversation and slowing eat all the leftovers.

Nice cookin'! I'm no shoulder pro, but I think that the rub gives it a bit more than you're giving it credit for. The bark, (even once it's mixed in) Is as important a flavor as anything.

Try doing this, do 2 butts and do one with rub and one without. Pull separately and try for taste. Would love to hear your thoughts after that. Just asking.

I'd keep rubbing. I've never felt that the flavor of the rub was lost once all the meat is pulled. I have used some rubs that didn't have much flavor when all was said and done, but a good rub adds a level of flavor that I wouldn't want to do without. The bark is the best part.

I'll probably keep using rub, just wondering if others left them 'naked' or just salt and pepper and hear their thoughts.

I'll probably keep using rub, just wondering if others left them 'naked' or just salt and pepper and hear their thoughts.

If you want more rub and bark you can cut the butts into large chunks before you cook. More surface area = more rub = more bark. I've done this with good success.

Jim - great job on those shoulders, they look awesome! Cooking to temp is always the way to go for low & slow IMO. Not sure I buy the rub argument but it is hard to go wrong when cooking the noble swine low and slow. Tell me about your dry brining process. I have done it for steaks with great success but never with a large hunk of critter. How much salt? How long for a 10 lb shoulder?

Regards,

John

Back