HOWTO: Configuring LinkMeter WiFi

More developments...

Nothing I do to the settings is saving. I hadn't set a password to the PI yet. Finally got sick of seeing the message about it and tried to set the password and it did not save.

I'm also seeing in big red letters in the upper right corner of the config. pages "Unsaved Changes: 18"

Last edited:
I would venture to say there is nothing wrong with the rPi itself, more than likely it is just doing what the HM software is telling it to. If you really suspect the rPi or wifi dongle is the issue then perhaps try loading a linux OS and see if you get the same behavior...

...but like I said, it's prob not a rPi prob.. In the HM Config, under Network, Interfaces, click EDIT next to your WIFI interface (should show your router name), then go to the ADVANCED SETTINGS tab and make sure BRING UP ON BOOT is checked....

Pretty much what I'm seeing is that everything is *working*, it's just not saving the settings and everything is lost upon reboot.

Where is the configuration stored? On the SD card? Or is this all flashed in to the PI? Anything on the PI that would keep it from saving changes to the configuration?

If it's stored on the SD card, is it possible to configure on the wifi settings on the card before installing it?

Last edited:
config is on the SD card, if it is not seated or there is some other problem with writing to the SD card that could be a problem. Perhaps re-image the SD card, always worth a shot in these strange cases.... Did you check the BRING UP ON BOOT setting for the WIFI???

Yes, bring up on boot was checked. Everything is telling me it's not a problem with the wifi setting, but the settings in general. Nothing I do saves past a reboot. Something is preventing it from saving changes to the config.

Edit: Tried reflashing and still no luck. :(

Last edited:
So after doing a bunch of things, pressing some more buttons, clicking some stuff, the damn thing just started working. :D I ended up clicking on the "Unsaved changes: " in the upper right corner and that brought me to a screen that let me save all of those unsaved changes that I had previously tried to save. I'm not sure if that's what fixed it or if I had done something else, but since then it let me make (and save) all the changes I wanted, including getting the wifi configured.

I had some spare 372 probes that worked fairly well after adding an extra ground to the jackets. I'll order some better probes once I get my BGE fan adapter built and I'm ready to actually start using this thing.

So after doing a bunch of things, pressing some more buttons, clicking some stuff, the damn thing just started working. :D I ended up clicking on the "Unsaved changes: " in the upper right corner and that brought me to a screen that let me save all of those unsaved changes that I had previously tried to save. I'm not sure if that's what fixed it or if I had done something else, but since then it let me make (and save) all the changes I wanted, including getting the wifi configured.
I'm glad you figured it out, but that's not what fixes it, that's what saves the changes. I believe sometimes the "Save and Apply" means save and apply and sometimes it just means apply and save as unsaved changes. So if you see the red text that says "Unsaved changes" you need to click on it and save the changes for them to be saved.

I tried every combination of "save" and "save and apply" on the wifi and network settings pages and couldn't get them to take. I kept seeing the unsaved changes message at the top but didn't realize I could click it to see the unsaved changes.

Guys I am waterproofing my setup and would like to use a Ralink RT5370 wireless adapter since it has an antenna that I can mount on the outside of the case for better reception. How would I get this adapter to work since it is not once of the mentioned supported ones? It did come with a driver CD. Thanks

I doubt the driver CD is going to be of much help for the LinkMeter software running on a Raspberry Pi. I would imagine it would be targeted to either Mac or Windows-based x86 machines rather than a OpenWRT (Linux) based ARM machine. I would email tech support at Ralink and ask them if they have a driver that would work on Linux running on a Raspberry Pi.

-- Mache

Guys I am waterproofing my setup and would like to use a Ralink RT5370 wireless adapter since it has an antenna that I can mount on the outside of the case for better reception. How would I get this adapter to work since it is not once of the mentioned supported ones? It did come with a driver CD. Thanks

Doing a quick search using that adapter with the PI, gives mix results. Some have been able to get it to work down loading the Linux drivers from ralink and some have not. Someone said it could be related to different version of the adapter, but you have no idea what version you may have, unless you try it and it fails.

Thanks for the input. Does anyone know of an adapter that would work and give the option of mounting an external antenna similar to the ralink

The RT5370 won't work on HeaterMeter because I haven't built the driver for it. It conflicts with the driver for the wifi that is supported and I've never gotten to trying to make them compatible.

What you're looking for is an Realtek rtl8192cu chipset wifi adapter. Rosewill RNX-N250UBE claims to be, although I've never tried it with HeaterMeter. Let us know if you try it and it works!

Bryan, Well... I received the unit and cant get it to work. I did open it up to make sure that it as the correct chipset and it does. It does turn on when I scan for networks and does find mine. I can select it but once I save changes it just does not return an IP address and says it is unknown. I can plug my old unit and it works immediately.

Any advice? Thanks

Last edited:
It is probably because you have 3 radios defined in your wifi config and the web ui isn't doing a good job configuring them. OpenWrt for some reason defaults to tying a wifi configuration to the mac address of the radio (which makes sense in the case of a router which has fixed radios I suppose) so if you try to "just swap" an adapter it won't work. You can either SSH in and do `wifi-client [SSID] [key]`or delete all your wifi interfaces, reboot, and start from scratch in the web ui.

OK I was curious why there was 3 radios Radio "0" is the only one that scans correctly. Well I have tried deleting the old wwan connection and powered down rpi inserted new wireless and used a hardwire to connect to the rpi and configure the new wireless, that does not seems to work. I have issue with deleting the multiple radio interfaces in my wifi config, I don't have it infront of me at this moment but there was no delete button for radio 1 and radio 2? I will give it a shot again tonight. If all fails might just to a fresh build on the sd card and start from scratch.

Yeah it is sort of finicky when it comes to the network configuration. I've gotten to the point several times where nothing I do seems to be able to fix it because the wireless is bound to the wrong interface or something. Under Network -> Interfaces you should have
FALLBACK - Static IP
LAN - DHCP
WWAN - DHCP

Under Network -> Wifi you should have one interface, radio0 with the checkbox for the network WWAN checked only. Also make sure it isn't "Disabled" which is the default.

Well last night was an exercise in if at first you fail try again! After I realize I could not delete the extra radio's. I tried numerous times to format the SD card and reinstalling a fresh image and adding the "norestore" to the cmd line but every time it pulled in my old settings. After about the 5th try I used another SD card and went thru the same steps and voilà it worked! Then it took me a little bit to get my port forwarding alarms etc. to work since it has been awhile since I set that all up. But I am happy to report that the adapter works great! Thanks again Bryan for your help.

Well last night was an exercise in if at first you fail try again! After I realize I could not delete the extra radio's. I tried numerous times to format the SD card and reinstalling a fresh image and adding the "norestore" to the cmd line but every time it pulled in my old settings. After about the 5th try I used another SD card and went thru the same steps and voilà it worked! Then it took me a little bit to get my port forwarding alarms etc. to work since it has been awhile since I set that all up. But I am happy to report that the adapter works great! Thanks again Bryan for your help.

I had a similar problem with sd cards not formatting. I was trying to help someone get his HM on his network. I made him a HM and sent him the SD card. It would not change from my setting to his so he tried to format the SD card and it would still not work.

So, I took a SD card myself and formatted and found out that when you format the cards the old files for HM are still there on the card and still used when you think its been reformatted and has a new copy of the HM files.

He took a new SD card and it worked fine

Back