HOWTO: Configuring LinkMeter WiFi

Glad you got it working!

I don't think I've heard of a single user which has gotten the "norestore" option to work, but I can't get it to not work! Can you post a screenshot of your cmdline.txt open in the text editor. I'd like to see if there's something maybe I'm doing wrong with my testing that's causing it to work properly every time.

I had a similar problem with sd cards not formatting. I was trying to help someone get his HM on his network. I made him a HM and sent him the SD card. It would not change from my setting to his so he tried to format the SD card and it would still not work.

So, I took a SD card myself and formatted and found out that when you format the cards the old files for HM are still there on the card and still used when you think its been reformatted and has a new copy of the HM files.

He took a new SD card and it worked fine

I had issues with SD card formatting also. I use this utility now, seems to work fine. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

The reason formatting seems to fail is that HeaterMeter creates a partition at the end of the card to store its configuration files in. When you "reformat" normally it just resets the beginning of the card, so when you boot up HeaterMeter sees that its data is still there and fixes up the partition table. There's no need to actually format the card, because writing the openwrt image to it actually "formats" it too.

If you want to reset your configuration to default then you have to use the "norestore" option to prevent the recovery process. However, if that's not working then the only way to prevent it is to wipe the last 64MB of the card.

After the image has been written to the card, windows will only see a small filesystem on it. To get it to see the whole card again, you can go into Disk Administrator and delete the partitions, recreating one big one.

Back