How Would You Discourage Coyotes From Entering Your Back Yard?

Burlington Ontario taking steps to eliminate coyotes after seven attacks on humans​

After consulting with the MNRF, (Ministry of natural resources and forestry) Burlington’s city staff said it believes the “attacks are coming from coyotes who have been conditioned to see humans as a food source. This creates an environment where wildlife is conditioned to be comfortable with direct human interaction and may come to depend on humans for food.”

Due to the localized nature of the incidents, the MNRF experts have theorized that it is a family of coyotes conducting the attacks. The aggressive behaviour towards humans is likely a learned trait passed down to the pups from the father, the city said in a statement.

“This type of aggression is learned from the parents and once it is learned, it becomes ingrained and the behaviour cannot be changed. This family of aggressive coyotes is likely roaming within a two to three square kilometer area

DO NOT FEED COYOTES​

And if you do feed the coyotes make sure that its a good load of pellets. As far as no shooting in city limits, bull. If a coyote comes up & is aggressive to me whether its in the country or a suburb I would shoot it with out blinking a eye. Then deal with the law however I have to.
After all its the citys where all the people shoot each other. Add in a coyote or two no biggie. I value my life over laws that can never be right in all instances. Same with a mountain lion. Where we live they are all around. But they aren't a problem because they are scared of people. If that changes & they come in my yard to kill one of my dogs I would shoot the lion & not think twice about it. Actually it is legal to protect your livestock, pets & family in the state that I live in.

Someday if someone comes by here in Nova Scotia and buys me a few drinks I will share a story of dealing with a pack of 8 coyotes on my farm with a pair of rubber boots, a bathrobe, a Ford f350 and a 223 and my 2 German Shepherds in Alberta, Canada

Someday if someone comes by here in Nova Scotia and buys me a few drinks I will share a story of dealing with a pack of 8 coyotes on my farm with a pair of rubber boots, a bathrobe, a Ford f350 and a 223 and my 2 German Shepherds in Alberta, Canada
Now that is what I'm talking about. sometimes you have to have a little self defense.
About 3 or 4 summers ago I was up hiking in the forest with my 2 dogs. Blue the Siberian I always have tied to my waist. Myles the other dog get to run free because he wont chase anything but chipmunks in the forest. Anyway, were hiking on a old jeep trail come around a corner & there are 5 coyotes sitting side by side blocking the road about 40 yards in front of us staring at us. I quickly got a leash on Myles so he wasn't temped to chase them. I had a small pocket .38 Ruger with me. So I wasn't too concerned. We pressed forward towards the coyotes, when we got halfway to them they scattered in different directions away from us. We hiked about a qtr mile and came around a bend in the trail. There sits 2 of them waiting for us. Very smart. They were hoping one of my dogs would be free & give chase, draw the dog off into the forest & then the reserves move in. And goodbye dog or doggies. Never underestimate coyotes. They will try anything in numbers to get a meal.

as far as not supplying food for other wildlife (birds, squirrels, rabbits, deer i.e.) i have been feeding wildlife on our property for the last 32 years and only once (1 TIME) did i see a coyote on my property and that was just before Christmas.

Motion lights i heard work.

edit: i also have field/game cameras located on the property yet no sign of them on those either.

Is a pellet gun legal?
I have a friend in the next county over who had a coyote problem for a little bit and they were threatening her Jack Russell
She wanted to just shoot them, but lives within the city limits, so no can do
I told her to get a decent pellet rifle and to pump the crap out of it and go have target practice!
She did and they quickly learned not to hang around her back yard!

as far as not supplying food for other wildlife (birds, squirrels, rabbits, deer i.e.) i have been feeding wildlife on our property for the last 32 years and only once (1 TIME) did i see a coyote on my property and that was just before Christmas.

Motion lights i heard work.

edit: i also have field/game cameras located on the property yet no sign of them on those either.
I have their paw prints from the overnight snow. Maybe a slingshot with a cherry bomb or M-80......

I have a Beeman single pump that comes with two barrels, .175 and .22 and it packs a punch with just the single pump. I think it’s a 1000 fps with the.175. I maybe incorrect on that.

Benjamin Titan XS NitroPiston .177​

benjamin-titan-np-review-detail.png

Love my Benjamin! Depending on the pellets, velocity up to 1200 fps. Even with the suppressor, it's about as loud as a 22, so maybe not great for urban pest control:)

Benjamin Titan XS NitroPiston .177​

benjamin-titan-np-review-detail.png

Love my Benjamin! Depending on the pellets, velocity up to 1200 fps. Even with the suppressor, it's about as loud as a 22, so maybe not great for urban pest control:)
Regarding being as loud as a .22 going off, any oil in the barrel will cause an ignition. Mine would pop really loud until the oil was gone. I read somewhere that you don’t want to purposely oil your barrels in order to make them pop. I don’t know what harm it does. Of course, YMMV due to having a different piece of equipment than mine.

BTW, my Beeman is a 2014 year model Sportsman RS Type 2.

1675275053532.png

Last edited:
Yeah it's called "dieseling". There are all kind of YouTube videos on how to actually make it work to your favor and actually make it "act" like an actual firearm.
Brings a story to mind. Years (many years) ago, my grandpa had grown a peach tree in his backyard in Chicago. He nurtured it from a seed. He got peaches off that tree nearly the size of grapefruits. And soooooooo goooooood. But squirrels were his nemesis. They would go in the tree, nibble on one and drop it, nibble on another and drop it. One day he'd had enough. He borrowed my uncles .22 rifle. He bought a box of what are called BB caps. Sat in his porch window and waited for the offender, took aim and pow.
My dad and I showed up slightly after he'd nailed the critter. He told my dad he was getting the ultimate revenge. He ate the squirrel. :D

Back