How Would You Discourage Coyotes From Entering Your Back Yard?

Yeah it's called "dieseling". There are all kind of YouTube videos on how to actually make it work to your favor and actually make it "act" like an actual firearm.
Brings a story to mind. Years (many years) ago, my grandpa had grown a peach tree in his backyard in Chicago. He nurtured it from a seed. He got peaches off that tree nearly the size of grapefruits. And soooooooo goooooood. But squirrels were his nemesis. They would go in the tree, nibble on one and drop it, nibble on another and drop it. One day he'd had enough. He borrowed my uncles .22 rifle. He bought a box of what are called BB caps. Sat in his porch window and waited for the offender, took aim and pow.
My dad and I showed up slightly after he'd nailed the critter. He told my dad he was getting the ultimate revenge. He ate the squirrel. :D
No oil in barrel. I run a couple of dry patches through the pipe after cleaning.

No oil in barrel. I run a couple of dry patches through the pipe after cleaning.
Most pellets are coated with oil. It does not take much either. My neighbor had one of those very powerful pellet shooters and he'd occasionally target shoot in the back yard. And that thing was WAY louder than even a .22 LR. To stop it he'd wash the pellets in solvent and dry them. Then it was quiet. Otherwise no matter how clean he got the barrel it would really crack and even shoot a flame out

Most pellets are coated with oil. It does not take much either. My neighbor had one of those very powerful pellet shooters and he'd occasionally target shoot in the back yard. And that thing was WAY louder than even a .22 LR. To stop it he'd wash the pellets in solvent and dry them. Then it was quiet. Otherwise no matter how clean he got the barrel it would really crack and even shoot a flame out
That's possible, though they don't look or feel oily. I'll try cleaning a few next time I go shooting.

That's possible, though they don't look or feel oily. I'll try cleaning a few next time I go shooting.
I forget what pellet popper he had but it was a break barrel. IIRC it was a .22 as well. Anyway pellets come "lubricated" because lead will corrode. So he'd have to clean the barrel and wash the pellets in lacquer thinner. Can't use things like mineral spirits as it does leave a slight residue. He had a very nice flower garden and rabbits would totally destroy it. So he'd "dispatch" them as necessary

That might explain why the pellets I use don't appear oily. I use alloy instead of lead. Will still try cleaning.

On rather related note..... I grew up on a family farm, raising beef cattle & tart cherries. The orchards really paid the bills over the years, and that the only thing my brother (who now owns it,) works on. Small vermin like field mice, voles, rabbits, etc. who graze on bark can be a real problem in an orchard, especially young trees. Girdling a young tree will either set it back years in growth if it's not outright dead in a year.

I was talking to my brother last night. Apparently, the coyote population is growing again (he's noted an increase in vermin population as well,) and some of the neighbors have decided to hunt coyotes using dogs. Unfortunately..... my brother really DOES want to see the coyotes, to keep the vermin down. And you don't want your hunting dogs eating vermin loaded with rat poison. So, why don't ya'll just take your dogs somewhere else.

Back