HOW TO: Weber Q1xx and Q2xx Regulator Delete

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
WHAT: This is a How To on bypassing (replacing) the regulator on a Q grill for use on a bulk propane tank.

WHY: The regulators on Weber Q grills are notorious for dying, making noises, malfunctioning and other problems. Replacement regulators typically cost $50 or more for a new one. This is a quick and simple way to plumb your Q grill for direct connection to a bulk LP cylinder.

CAUTION: This is only the way that I made the conversion. Working with propane and connections can be a hazardous activity. I am not advocating that you perform these steps on your grill, but if you do, that is your responsibility. If you don't feel comfortable working with propane connections, I suggest you seek assistance from a licensed plumber which I am not.

Also, keep in mind that if you perform this HOW TO on your Q grill, you will no longer be able to use 1lb disposable cylinders with it.

WHAT YOU NEED:
This is what it should look like when you are done. Keep in mind, you could use different connection/conversion fittings and wind up with the same end result. Also, feel free to source the parts from any source you choose. But this worked for me.
  1. Remove old hose and regulator from the grill. You should be left with a 1/8" male NPT fitting coming off the valve.
  2. Clean the threads and install the 1/8 Female NPT X 1/8 Female NPT adapter to the valve using the pipe dope.
  3. Connect the 1/8" Male NPT X 3/8" Male Flare fitting to the other end of the fitting in step 2 using pipe dope.
  4. Connect the new hose with regulator to the other end of the fitting in step 3. DO NOT USE PIPE DOPE on this connection.
  5. Connect the other end with the QCC1 (Acme) nut to the propane tank.
  6. SLOWLY open the tank valve about one turn, then you can open it all the way.
  7. Test for leaks with a spray bottle filled with water an a tiny bit of dish soap by spraying all connections when under pressure. If you see bubbles forming at any connection, redo the connection before lighting the grill.
  8. Light the grill and let it warm up.
  9. Throw on a 1.5 lb Ribeye and sit back and admire your work.
2019 Q grill Bulk adapter (1).jpg

2019 Q grill Bulk adapter (2).jpg

2019 Q grill Bulk adapter (3).jpg

2019 Q grill Bulk adapter (4).jpg

Last edited:
Ed, yes you are 100% correct. However, when I did my conversions, I already had the other connectors and I was having trouble finding that female NPT to male flare connector. But, yes that would save a few bucks and better yet an extra connection which is always a good thing when any connection introduces a possibility of a leak which is not a good thing when working with propane.

Spent the weekend at my bro-in-laws cabin which was awesome! He has a Q1000 he converted to run on a standard propane tank, he told me the igniter didn't work and I would need to light it manually, so ok no problem. Decided to do some burgers and when lighting the burner it would only light 6 or 8 inches so I had to manually light the burn all the way around which I thought was odd? Despite adjusting the regulator knob it seemed to have very little effect. So I left it on high and it very slow warmed up, put the burgers on and shut the lid. The burgers did cook but whole cook time was probably 40 mins which didn't seem right. Anybody have experience with low flame on the Q1000 grill and advice on how to correct it. Since I was only there a short time I didn't really look into it so any tips or advice would be helpful so when I go back again I can trouble shoot the issue.

Yah, my guess is your BIL has a long adapter hose on the grill instead of doing a regulator delete. The problem with doing that is when you open the tank, it takes a lot of propane to fill up that long adapter hose before it gets to the regulator. The tank safety valve sees that sudden rush of propane as a large leak and proceeds to restrict flow. To reset, turn off grill, turn off tank, disconnect hose from tank, wait 20 seconds or so, then reconnect hose to tank, make sure valve on grill is closed, then SLOOOWWWWLLLLYYYY open the tank valve until it is open one full turn. Then open it all the way. Then turn on the grill valve and light it.

Now, you are probably dealing with a crusty burner as well. A wire brush on the holes should clean it up. If not, you might have to clean each individual hole out with some thing like a tiny drill bit or wire or something like that.

It should take that grill 10-15 minutes to heat up fully and about 5 minutes or so to cook the burgers.

Yah, my guess is your BIL has a long adapter hose on the grill instead of doing a regulator delete. The problem with doing that is when you open the tank, it takes a lot of propane to fill up that long adapter hose before it gets to the regulator. The tank safety valve sees that sudden rush of propane as a large leak and proceeds to restrict flow. To reset, turn off grill, turn off tank, disconnect hose from tank, wait 20 seconds or so, then reconnect hose to tank, make sure valve on grill is closed, then SLOOOWWWWLLLLYYYY open the tank valve until it is open one full turn. Then open it all the way. Then turn on the grill valve and light it.

Now, you are probably dealing with a crusty burner as well. A wire brush on the holes should clean it up. If not, you might have to clean each individual hole out with some thing like a tiny drill bit or wire or something like that.

It should take that grill 10-15 minutes to heat up fully and about 5 minutes or so to cook the burgers.
Bruce you are correct, it has probably a 30-36 inch hose. And yes the burner has seen some use, I did recommend he give it a clean up as well. Thx!!

Thanks - I just got my first Q with a bad regulator. It is a Q200 and after seeing your pictures I bought the 1/8" x 1/8" coupler and used a Weber regulator hose with 1/8" end instead of 3/8" flare Worked great. Wish there was a way to fix these regulators or at least find 3rd party ones with
1/8" connectors. This guy has an interesting fix keeping the option of 1lb bottles....But don't tell Larry;-) Wish I could find that regulator in a fixed version.

20220403_173425.jpg

Yeah, I spent a good chunk of last Tuesday looking for the adapter Joe just mentioned. I’d really rather have one with a valve so I can just leave it on the disposable bottle, and I wasn’t paying $30 for one at True Value, regardless.

Since this connector is right at the regulator on the hose, it would be the same as screwing it into a stock Q. I don't think the valve is necessary or worth the extra $10 IMHO.

Since this connector is right at the regulator on the hose, it would be the same as screwing it into a stock Q. I don't think the valve is necessary or worth the extra $10 IMHO.
Again - imagine screwing the adapter onto the disposable bottle first. Big whooshing sound - hands get very cold - kind of foul smell in the air.

Again - imagine screwing the adapter onto the disposable bottle first. Big whooshing sound - hands get very cold - kind of foul smell in the air.
How about screwing the adapter into the hose first? Should not have any escaping propane to smell. Maybe I am missing something... Have you used one before? I have not.

Back