How to make great Spare Ribs even better

James H

TVWBB Pro
HI,

Happy July 4th weekend!

So usually I do baby backs and come out with solid results but this time I did spares cut by the store to be St Louis style. Using minion with 4 chunks of apple, I smoked at an average 240-250 temp for 5 hours, no foil. Then sauced an put on the grill for 5 minutes to get a little char on the sauce. I have to say I say very happy and the smokiness, taste, and tenderness were spot on. However, they were maybe still a little fatty. If I go longer, say another half hour to hour, will I get a little less fatty but still keep the awesome tenderness/juiciness I had on these?

Thanks for your thoughts.

James

James,

Even if the store trimmed the ribs, there may have been a little extra fat left on. Did you look at them. Whenever I do ribs, I always end up cutting some fat off of the top and after I pull the membrane, I scrape some of the fat off of the bottom. You might have just needed to trim them up like this a little better, but sometimes you just get fatty ones.

Unless you feel like they were underdone, I don't think cooking them more would have helped

What Rick said. 5 hours is what I do for ribs as well usually closer to 250-275. I usually char them under the broiler once sauced sounds like just fatty ribs.

My belief has always been that lower temps will result in more fat rendering by the time the meat is tender. Most modern pork is leaner than in the old days, when low temps were considered mandatory. Nowadays you can cook some back ribs at 325 and have them come out OK. Your spares must have had more fat than most. Try a lower temp for longer or trim them before cooking.

James,

Even if the store trimmed the ribs, there may have been a little extra fat left on. Did you look at them. Whenever I do ribs, I always end up cutting some fat off of the top and after I pull the membrane, I scrape some of the fat off of the bottom. You might have just needed to trim them up like this a little better, but sometimes you just get fatty ones.

Unless you feel like they were underdone, I don't think cooking them more would have helped

Rick's right on. You can use a spoon or something and remove a bunch of fat that might be under the membrane. If you don't like spares, cook back ribs. :)

IMO, I think you should go a little hotter - 275* and yes trim excess fat off. Fat renders better at higher temps. How are you measuring temp? The stock therm is no good IMO.

IMO, I moved from lower cooking T round 225F towards 275F, shorting time. This because at lower T my spares were super fatty. I probe at grill level. All my guest say that spares are less "heavy" now! I agree with them as CBJ.

Back