How to hold ribs. . .

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
I have got a party that I'm smoking 4 racks of St. Louis Cut ribs for. Also doing hotdogs for the kids and bbq baked beans. I am starting to get nervous about the different cook times and cutting the ribs for serving. I don't want the ribs to get cold or to lose "texture" but think I may need to hold them a bit before we eat.

What is the best way to hold ribs before serving? Do I cut them into portions first or wait until right before serving to portion them?

Also would you pinwheel the racks for cooking on one grate or lay they flat and use both grates?

I don't smoke full length slabs of ribs on my 18 unless rolling and skewering. Otherwise, it's half slabs in rib racks. You can keep a slab of ribs hot for at least an hour by simply wrapping in foil and then putting in a brown bag. Sauce when wrapping, and slice right before serving.

I read recently to let meat cooked cool to 140, then wrap and put in cooler. Stays warm but does not keep cooking and getting mushy.) Have not tried, but sounds sensible. I usually wrap and put in cooler brisket and big cuts without cooling to 140, but they can stand that extra cooking without getting mushy. (Some will say bugs grow between 40 and 140, but my mom's stovetop has held meat for hours without sickening anyone yet.)

i would not slice until serving time. To keep from drying

Different cook times? You can cook all four slabs on your weber at once and as said previously foil wrap in towel and stick in cooler it'll stay hot no worries

Different cook times? You can cook all four slabs on your weber at once and as said previously foil wrap in towel and stick in cooler it'll stay hot no worries

It wasn't the different cook times on the individual racks of ribs that I was referring to, but different times between the ribs and beans and hotdogs. I sometimes get too in my head when there is a lot going on at once.

Everything turned out really well though. The ribs were not my best, but everyone loved them. The beans were great! I change how I prep them every time by adding the rub from whatever meat they are to accompany. This time I also cooked up some of the tip meat in a cast iron pot before adding the onion and the beans. Was really good.

Back