How to do a lot of ribs on an original cooker?

Adam E

Hi all!

I've got an original Smokey Mountain Cooker and I've been tasked with cooking six to eight racks of baby backs on a yet to be named weekend.

I've got one wire rib rack and was thinking of buying another. Before I do that though, I was wondering if there was a better way. I've used the lower level very rarely and since I don't have a dual probe thermometer, I'd be very hesitant to try it.

What's the typical upper limit for numbers of rib racks on the top and how did you do it?

Thanks!

No problem, you're welcome Adam.
I went with Google since TVWBB's search engine isn't so hot.
Good luck on your cook!

I did six racks this weekend, three up, three down, rolled just like in the picture above. The lower ones cooked a bit slower but not by much. Due to pressure from the gathering horde, I pulled them off a bit earlier than I'd have liked. They were a bit on the chewy side but still tasted good and disappeared rather quickly. For more than six you'd either have to really crowd them in or try to stack them.

Ok... I know this blasphemous but....

2 Weber rib racks - 5 slots each.
Trim the thin end back by 2 to 3 bones so that the racks fit the cooker, cook 5 on top and 5 below.
Take the trimmings, season, foil, and tuck them in somewhere. Have them later for " chef's choice ".

Enjoy.

Rolling the racks works for me on the 18 and recently purchased the Cajun bandit stacker for more room. Having a family gathering and ribs will be on the menu...

Wish I purchased the stackers sooner so happy with the quality!

f

Back