How To Cook Corn On The Cob. NOT!

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I saw this on Pammi's FB. No way that I would have done this before I got a grill. Same now that I have my Weber's!!

Actually the microwave is a pretty effective tool for cooking corn on the cob. If I can't grill it for some reason, I will opt for the microwave over boiling it. Except I shuck it, wrap it in wax paper, and cook it at 2 minutes on high.

Actually the microwave is a pretty effective tool for cooking corn on the cob. If I can't grill it for some reason, I will opt for the microwave over boiling it. Except I shuck it, wrap it in wax paper, and cook it at 2 minutes on high.

.....+1.....

I do it the same way when I'm only making one ear for a quick lunch. I agree, it isn't as good as grilled, but I can't fire up the grill just for one ear of corn.

I microwave it on occasions and it tastes just like cooked corn. :p
Here's a tip, the cut and slide out method works pretty well on grilled in husk corn too.

I'm just glad to know I can cook corn in the microwave now. Certainly it won't be as good as grilled, but I imagine it's much better than boiled!

Hmmm. We usually soak corn in the husk in water as soon as we buy it and store it submerged in a container in the fridge. I throw it on the grill and leave it as I grill the rest of the meal. But corn in the husk takes a long time on the grill -- 30 minutes or better. So, If it cooks for say, 2 minutes per ear in the micro, can I finish it on the grill in maybe 10 minutes or so? I like to get just a little char or browning on the kernels. We have a couple of ears in the fridge right now. I may try this today. I do love the chop off the fat end and squeeze it out trick.

Jeff

The report from the experimental kitchen is that a hybrid cook for corn-in-the-husk can be successful. Two ears had been soaking for a couple of days in the fridge. I nuked them individually for 2:30 each, then, still in the husk, put them on a Performer kettle at the perimeter of a very hot fire for about 10-15 minutes. The squeeze-it-out method of de-husking worked pretty well for one, but the second ear put up a fight. I may not have chopped enough off the fat end.

They were tender (maybe a bit overtender) but very juicy and they had a nice light smoke taste (there was a good hunk of hickory in the middle of the briquettes). One had a nice light brown carmelization that only a grill can provide. I will definitely do this again.

Jeff

Back