How to change the pit probe to be non probe -?

D Peart

TVWBB Pro
My thermocouple died, this is three of three I bought at the same time. Mine, my brothers and friends. They have all died.

So I would like to use probe 2 instead of probe 0. I changed it in the configuration page, set it to internal, the same as probe 2 currently configured. However, it read about 90F hotter than probe 2, which is the same probe.

Ideas on how to get the pit to read the same as it does as probe 2?

I'm a bit confused, because it is the same probe, same circuitry, just needed the controller to use probe 2 intead of probe 0.

thanks
david

Set the pit probe (probe 0 ) to "disabled" in the web config and the first meat probe ( probe 1 ) will become the new pit probe. You'll need to make sure you select the correct probe type ( maverick, TX-1001, igrill ) for the type of probe you're using.

The display doesn't update to reflect the new pit probe, the code itself does and the "first non disabled probe" is used to control the pit.

Hmm doesn't work. I have my temp set at 275 and it is a zero fan and 245. I'll just use the manual controls those appear to work.

I think I have the latest software version, but can't find it in the GUI to check.

As Steve said, set the pit probe to Disabled, then then next enabled probe becomes the pit probe. The web ui will not show the Pit Probe on top like normal, you'd have to look at Probe 1, but the LCD on the HM itself should show Probe1 as the pit probe (and probe 1). This was implemented quite some time ago, so I would guess you have it, but if not then perhaps its time to do an update.

I had the second to the latest version of the software so I took a change and flashed my smoker :)

It is all working now.

thanks for the help. I've removed any ability for me to use my smoker in a manual manner so I'm quite dependent of the controller working. I'll have to get my backup configured identically so I can just swap it out. It doesn't use thermocouples.

david

IDK what kind of TC you are using, but I bought a ThermoWorks High Heat TC, it was a bit pricey (in the $30 range) but it has been outside in the weather through winter and summer for over a year and a half and it is still working. I've had the grill up over 700F and have generally been abusive to the TC and it still hasn't died...

IDK what kind of TC you are using, but I bought a ThermoWorks High Heat TC, it was a bit pricey (in the $30 range) but it has been outside in the weather through winter and summer for over a year and a half and it is still working. I've had the grill up over 700F and have generally been abusive to the TC and it still hasn't died...

I'll look at that one. I bought three of these:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=327

everyone failed within a year at three different places.

thanks for the pointer

This is the one I am using:
http://www.thermoworks.com/PRB-K-420?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB
The entire probe and cable is water/steam proof, the probe can handle over 2,000F but the cable is only good to about 500F. It has been extremely reliable and durable for me. If you have a hole in your pit you can surface mount with the threads. I bought the thin one and just poke it through between the lid and base, push it through a ThermoWorks grate clip http://www.thermoworks.com/TX-1006X-GC?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB and bend it upwards. The probe is bendable so you can kinda make it go wherever you like.

Hmm doesn't work. I have my temp set at 275 and it is a zero fan and 245. I'll just use the manual controls those appear to work.

I think I have the latest software version, but can't find it in the GUI to check.

If you see no pit probe, then you have not followed the correct steps that Steve and Ralph had posted.

You must have the thermocouple in the settings disabled. Just unplugging the thermocouple does not change pit probe to probe 1. The setting needs to be disabled and then the settings will change and all that you will see on the thermocouple settings will be pit probe box and disabled, nothing else will be there. Then if you have a meat probe in the 1st Jack it will then be the pit probe until you change the doable back to thermocouple.

Is there any way to swap them, even if a custom code load is required? My TC is misbehaving a little, I think, but I'd like to run the pit off probe 1 but leave probe 0 operational to compare results. Seems the only way to verify any fix I do actually took.

Nope there is not any way to remap the probes without recompiling the source code and forcing the control probe to be what you want. If you're trying to test a fix of your probe, you can just enable the thermocouple one and see if it tracks with the thermistor and if it doesn't then disable it again. It isn't ideal because you probably want to run the TC as a secondary for a single test and if it is good then put it back in service, but it generates code and UI complexity for a one time benefit which would probably be easier to satisfy with just a meatless test burn or a ride in an oven.

Nope there is not any way to remap the probes without recompiling the source code and forcing the control probe to be what you want.

I'm totally ok with that! Would hardly be the first time :) Is there any specific place I should look, like defines for port numbers for probe numbers or anything like that? If not, its ok, I'll poke around.

The last cook had the thermocouple go a little off many hours into the cook. I can't currently reproduce it, so I figure do the next cook with a thermistor and let the thermocouple run and try to get a handle on it (after checking over the hardware very carefully). See the "thermocouple drift" thread (from a day or so ago)

Here is another solution....
ALL of the probes go through the 100K resistor right before they connect to the ATMega. So you could pull the "Atmega end" of the 100K resistor from a the pit probe and one standard probe, then use a jumper wire to connect the standard probe where the pit probe was and another jumper to connect the TC to the unused food probe position.

Back