How often do you Barbeque?

Originally posted by Ryan Gala:
Since I got my WSM and OTG I have been grilling or barbecuing 2 to three times a week. Usually pork butt or steaks. Just wondering how often you guys are firing up the chimney. My fiancé thinks I'm crazy and tells me she is tired of BBQ. I'm staring to honestly feel a little fatter but it tastes so good. Maybe I need to find some healthier recipes.

I've only had my WSM and Performer for a month, and it's about twice a week, for me, but that is going to increase. Doesn't sound to me like you are making too much BBQ... I mean, maybe if it was 2-3 times a DAY, that could get old.

Maybe your fiance could be appeased with some creative sides and variety like Tacos, Fajitas, Asian Stir fry or whatever, using your steak and pork butts differently - there are lots of great recipes and ideas on this board.

IMHO, she is lucky to have you, since you seem to be doing some great cooks!

This is my "slow season" because Dallas is already seeing 100 degree heat so I am probably only cooking around 3-4 times a week.

I actually cook a LOT more in cooler (ie below 90 degrees) weather and actually peak during the heart of winter when I cook 8-10 x's per week.

Of course, there are exceptions like when I'm on a diet or money is tight...both of which limit variety.

Try to get out and really BBQ something on the weekends. Grill at least once or twice during the week too. I know what you mean about the extra weight but I'm thinking it's the beverage while the meal is cooking
icon_biggrin.gif

I usually fire up the WSM once every 2 weeks on average throughout the year with a combination of low-and-slow pork/ribs and high-heat chicken/brats/dogs/sausages.

bbq good my friends

Nowhere near as much as I'd like. I try to grill something once a week at least,then again on the weekends,I try to cook EVERYTHING on the grill/WSM. Unfortunately,summer is a busy time in the battery business,so sweet Pammi Sue will usually grill up something for me. She really is a keeper!

I tend to go in waves. More grilling in summer because of snow in CO. I'm learning again to remember to plan 30 min charcoal light up.

I BBQ avg of 5 times a month either smoking or grilling. I like to grill a lot--fish, chix, sirloin steak in various marinades.

If my wife liked smoke I'd be going at it 3 times a week.

Originally posted by Jennifer K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan Gala:
Since I got my WSM and OTG I have been grilling or barbecuing 2 to three times a week. Usually pork butt or steaks. Just wondering how often you guys are firing up the chimney. My fiancé thinks I'm crazy and tells me she is tired of BBQ. I'm staring to honestly feel a little fatter but it tastes so good. Maybe I need to find some healthier recipes.

I've only had my WSM and Performer for a month, and it's about twice a week, for me, but that is going to increase. Doesn't sound to me like you are making too much BBQ... I mean, maybe if it was 2-3 times a DAY, that could get old.

Maybe your fiance could be appeased with some creative sides and variety like Tacos, Fajitas, Asian Stir fry or whatever, using your steak and pork butts differently - there are lots of great recipes and ideas on this board.

IMHO, she is lucky to have you, since you seem to be doing some great cooks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree Jennifer -- the more variety the happier my wife will be. I grill or smoke at least 3 - 4 times a week year round (love the NC climate!). Try to make 3 or 4 of those each month a BBQ. Sometimes I'll cook every day for a week or more. At rare times, it will only be once or twice a week (but I start getting grumpy when that happens).

Since I started doing veggies, most of my cooks are full meals or most of the meal. It's amazing to me still how much more I like grilled veggies and how many more I will try.

Also, I love Mexican or TexMex and other Latin American foods, so I try to do as many different things as I can for those dishes. A major favorite is quesadillas because who doesn't like cheese and what doesn't go with cheese and what could possibly be easier to cook on a grill?

On the WSM, I'm more limited -- pretty much anything that I decide that I actually don't prefer on a grill -- and that's not much. When the WSM starts up, look out -- here's likely to be enough food for weeks (I mostly do multiple meats and other things). Then I generally have lots to put on the grill to finish or heat up or rehash another time.

So exercise and push-aways are also big parts of my days.

Rich

I usually grill 3-4 times per week, more in the summer than the winter. I have a WSM 18.5, but rarely use it. Got a 22.5 Weber charcoal grill about 25 years ago and a Weber gas grill about 10 years ago. I had shifted much of my cooking to the gas grill for speed and convenience (especially in the winter), but this summer I have started using the charcoal grill much more often. The challenge of cooking on a charcoal grill is fun and the taste (except for vegetables) is really much better.

As many others, not as much as I'd like. Weekends are normally when I get to it and when I do, I make a lot of food! My friends are always around and provide a lot of food also which is nice but if not, it gives us a couple days of leftovers. I try to cook at least 2x during the week as well to give us leftovers also and my house is really small so turning the oven on in the summer isn't really pleasant! Plus with work schedules and other garbage, cooking every night is virtually impossible.

During the summer I fire up the WSM every weekend. Usually I'll do some ribs or chicken to eat that day and a but for later in the week. I try and grill a couple times a week. Winter is a different story up here. I only BBQ when the weather is cooperative.

I try to grill twice a week, year round. So far this year, I've been about 3 times a week, and doing something on the WSM about every other weekend. Would like to do more, but the family gets tired of the same thing over & over. I was recently put on a low-sodium diet, so I will need to be more creative in my cooking to make up for being a salt-a-holic pretty much all my life.

Once or twice per week I use a grill and a gas one. lol. I cook competition Q so I get tired of eating smoked meat but dont get me wrong i still love it.
Im digging pizza right now.

4+ / week. If I am cooking at home, then 90% of the time it's on my grill.

I agree with everyone else, you have to mix in some variety.

As many times as I can. Working 10-12 hr days makes me slack off a little and cook easy things like brats, burgers, chicken etc. But on my days off I like to a little bit harder stuff. Butts, Brisket, Ribs. Average 3-4 times year round and we get alot of snow up here so finding a clear spot can be a challange .
COOKS022.jpg

Grilling about 6 times per week all year long. But this past winter was brutal so only got out there maybe 3 or 4 times per week. However, I just added a Genesis Gas grill to my collection, so I anticapate using it daily in the winter months.
Most of my smoking is done in the winter and spring.

I like to smoke once a month and grill 2-3 times per month in the winter.

The rest of the year, smoke 2-3 times per month and grill 6-7 times per week.

Back