How Much Food Can I Stuff Onto A 22.5 OTG? Let's see......

M Hoss

TVWBB Member
Waiting delivery of my 22.5 WSM....wait impatiently I am....but keeping busy distracts my mind.

Did some ribs up yesterday....got a whole side rib....one proper cut and a chine bone cut. Took the chine bone to pull stage and got 3.5 cups of shred. I went to the grocery store to get some beans, red bell pepper, jalapeno, and a can of pinapples. I strolled through the meat section and spot pork butts on sale so not having done a butt in a couple of months I grab a smaller one and head home to rub it up. My little bean cook now turns into a butt and bean cook. I cooked the butt naked for 3 hours or so with no water in the pan underneath and no spritzing with mop...till there was a nice crust then I put it in a small pan and added my beans:

d4cc9.jpg

At this point I am spritzing the butt every 15 minutes or so and stirring the beans at the same time. Get as much smoke in them beans as I can. When the pinnapples get mostly soft the beans are done....in this case it was about 2 hours.....taste taste taste and I do not overcook the beans is what I have found. When the beans were done and the butt was foiled I smoked a strip of haddock rubbed with salt and pepper, lightly coated in olive oil for the wife....turned out pretty good for fish.

I added some mop, (tequila, a bunch of water and little piri piri oil) to the pan containing the butt and smoked for another hour or so then foiled the pan and butt with heavy duty foil for a couple hours. My temp through the cook was between 250f and 270f. When the meat was ready....I have no meat thermometer right now....I reserved all juices....removed the foil and put the but on the pan back into the cooker for about 20 minutes to firm up the bark abit. Then add a couple tblsp's of reserved juice and foil and towel for 30 minutes.....open foil....apply abit of preasure to the meat and pull on the bone.....bingo:

bgwg90.jpg

Shredded:

20ubyhe.jpg

Hurry up UPS dude.

EDIT: Ooops. Just realized I put this in the WSM section rather than the Kettle section.

Last edited:
I did a cook for our church last summer and I cooked 8 pork butts on my 22.5. I did place them on their end, but they turned out great. There were several times when I was pulling all eight of them, that I questioned why I volunteered '-) So I know that you can put a lot in one.

Back