How much charcoal for a chicken cook?

RyanS_MN

TVWBB Fan
I've really ventured into the charcoal game the last few years. I learned on a gasser which obviously helps with the basics but doesn't really have any skill and after loving my WSM so much I've started venturing into charcoal grilling. That said, as someone who doesn't store their grill outside and doesn't want to wait hours for it to cool off, I'm trying to figure out my cooks to waste as little charcoal as possible. yes it's cheap but it'd be nice to make food without wasting a ton of charcoal. So, anyone have a great way to figure out about how much charcoal I'll need to do some drumsticks on my new kettle? half a chimney, 3/4's. full?

That sounds about right. Look into getting a Vortex for your kettle. It is a game changer for doing bone in skin on chicken. Thighs, wings, drumsticks etc. I was skeptical at first and didn’t see the difference between the vortex and the charcoal baskets. Finally took the plunge and don’t regret it at all.

Depends on the amount of drummies. A full family pack= full chimney. 3/4=3/4. 1/2 =1/2.
And JimZ said it right.
I have a few of those bayou chicken leg/wing racks.
I used to use those before I got the vortex, since then I gave those to my Son.

Long time ago I did whole chicken on the Kettle. I would use the baskets on the sides with the bird in the middle, and I think I put lit 25 coals in each basket. And I would run an aluminum drip pan with water in the middle.

I think that's what Weber recommends .

technique_class1a2_5.jpg

Last edited:
That said, as someone who doesn't store their grill outside and doesn't want to wait hours for it to cool off, I'm trying to figure out my cooks to waste as little charcoal as possible. yes it's cheap but it'd be nice to make food without wasting a ton of charcoal. So, anyone have a great way to figure out about how much charcoal I'll need to do some drumsticks on my new kettle? half a chimney, 3/4's. full?
What size kettle do you have and what charcoal configuration are you planning to use?

Last edited:
What size kettle do you have and what charcoal configuration are you planning to use?
22" kettle. I will be using my char baskets but I am thinking I will be setting them together in the center rather then the outside though as my MT has the gourmet center that I can always remove.

You've answered your own question.;)

Fill the baskets with unlit briquettes first and then dump them into the chimney. You'll still have some left over but once you close up the grill they'll die and cool down fairly quickly, and you can finish them the next time you grill.

I pretty much always use a full chimney, always have, you will have useable coal left.
Most of the time, I seem to have about 1/3-1/2 a chimney left in baskets. Today I’m splitting a cook, 5# standing rib roast and a whole chicken of pretty much the same size, basic old school indirect method fully engaged baskets with a drip pan down the middle (dry). Full chimney (about 50/50 new and old) planning on roughly an hour and a half cooktime.
Roast rubbed with rosemary, garlic, thyme, evoo and some Henderson’s relish (thanks Case!) the chicken has half a lemon and a cut head of garlic in the cavity.
7AD3E5CE-AEA2-42A0-A927-20B8148B0AB2.jpeg

Back