How many folks use 1lb propane canisters on Q1200?

Steve MacIsaac

Hope this isn't a stupid/redundant thread (I'm new to the site) and I'm wondering, having recently brought a Q1200 back to health and using the 1lb coleman green tank b/c I walk it on/off my porch, how many folks use the 1lb, regardless of whether they're camping/etc or staying at home on the deck/patio/whatever?

The bottles seem to last 2.5-3.5 hours, and are 2 for $6.44 at Walmart. I don't like the idea of throwing away that canister, but the convenience is undeniable.

Thoughts?

What works for you is what's best. Kinda hard to justify using a huge 20lb tank that is larger than and outweighs the grill itself LOL. Might try looking for one of the refillable 2.5 or 5lb tanks. I've seen them at place like Sam's and outdoor shops

I use both depending on the need. I go to a 20lb via a quick connect fitting when traveling with the camper. The 1 lb bottles when we travel without the camper.

You can buy a 20lb propane tank adapter and refill your 1lb bottles off of it. It does work if you do it right. Of course, the bottels are not designed to be refillable, but many do, including myself, with no problems. Just understand the safety warnings if you chose to do it. The adapter is only about $7 on Amazon.com.

I use the 1 pound bottles. Just easier for me when using the RV. I have a 5 pound bottle and adapter but like the small green bottles the best.

Allen, I wish I could find a 5lb tank for a decent price. I never see them pop up on CL or FB MP.

I use the 20 lbs tank, but mine doesn't move from my deck. If I was moving it around frequently then I'd likely use the small tanks and just refill them like Bruce described.

I use the 1 lb. I buy them at the grocery store when they’re on sale and it comes out of our joint account. I use my account for BBQ stuff and other “guy” stuff.

My Performer and Q1200 both use the 1 lb. bottles, so it's convenient to keep a small inventory. I move the Q around, so I'm likely to stay with the small bottles. If I had a larger gasser, I'd probably get an adapter to use 20-pounders with the Q, if only as a backup.

Jeff

I'm in the 1 lb camp. I bought an adapter for a 20 lb cylinder but I've yet to use it. Having said that, I more often use the Q 3200 than the Q 1200.

Thanks so much to all. I'm having a great time with this little grill, and it's so much more fun when you can post a (probably too simple) question and get so many prompt, really insightful replies. I frequent other 'specialty' sites -- motorcycle, legal, math -- and God help you if you ask too simple a question. Which is an invitation to the cognoscenti to berate or patronize you. Kills all the fun.
This site is fun.

I have the same experiences as you do Steve. I am on a truck forum and it is a field day when someone comes on asking any kind of simple question. That is usually their last post too. We might crack jokes here from time to time, but it is all done in good nature.

I have the same experiences as you do Steve. I am on a truck forum and it is a field day when someone comes on asking any kind of simple question. That is usually their last post too. We might crack jokes here from time to time, but it is all done in good nature.
I’ve noticed on other boards people are so quick to point new members to the Search button rather than just answering the question

My Q doesn't move much, so I bought an an adapter to connect to a 20lb tank. I love it, and I am not sure if I will ever go back to bottles unless I am traveling. My Q is the best investment I have made in a gas grill.

My Q doesn't move much, so I bought an an adapter to connect to a 20lb tank. I love it, and I am not sure if I will ever go back to bottles unless I am traveling. My Q is the best investment I have made in a gas grill.
I have to say that I use my Q200 more often than the Genesis 1000. BUt there are clearly things I want/need to do that can't be done on a Q grill. I would hate to give up either.

I have to say that I use my Q200 more often than the Genesis 1000. BUt there are clearly things I want/need to do that can't be done on a Q grill. I would hate to give up either.

Oddly enough, I have used my side burner (stir fry) more often on the big grill than the grill itself. That will change soon when I do my next rotisserie.

We like to repeat ourselves. It makes us feel important.,

We like to repeat ourselves. It makes us feel important;)!
Bruce, you crack me up! I really need to spend some quality time visiting in the great state of Wisconsin! I’d really enjoy meeting you and Jim Lampe then on the way Larry to have him give my Kitchen-Aid a tune up. Sounds like two trips, one for the drop off, one for, pick up!
Steve, This forum is always fun, there is a little friction from time to time but, 99/44 100’ths percent supportive and incredibly generous with help and ideas. Welcome aboard!
Oh, if the Q doesn’t move much, I’d probably do a bigger source (5 or 20 lb.) but, for the most part I’m a charcoal guy so, my opinion may not bear much weight.

Last edited:

Back