How many folks use 1lb propane canisters on Q1200?

Thanks for all the humorous repartee! Fun site. Still having fun with the q1200. With the new burner/regulator, based on a taylor thermometer I checked against 2 ovens I know are accurate, taylor sitting on grill grate reads 30-50 degrees higher than the q1200 temp gauge (makes sense, I guess, as the probe is high in the hood. Quick question though: does anyone find that the q1200 even on the lowest setting burns hot? Probably not a practical issue as just checking the food loses a lot of temp quick.
Using the propane tanks from coleman, all purchased same store (walmart), I was astounded at how incredibly close the tank is to one full pound of gas. See pix. IMG_7129.JPGIMG_7128.JPG
For those who hate math, it's about 0.986 or so of a pound of propane, empty v. full.
I'm sold on the little bottles.

YES, Q grills have a pretty small heat range and it is tough to hold much below 300 unless the burners are all gunked up. The exception is the Q3xx grills which have two burners and with just the small center burner on, it can cook quite low.

Back