How many Butts?

Here is 4 10lbs done. It was a little tight at first. As you can see, There is plenty of room. I've fit 6 shoulders on before.

wsmshoulder_zps0d78e6d1.jpg

Thanks for the responses! I thought one might be able to get 4 on a rack. When you did 6 or 8 butts, did a full charcoal basket make it through the entire smoke, or did you have to refuel? Did you use charcoal or lump?

Thanks for the responses! I thought one might be able to get 4 on a rack. When you did 6 or 8 butts, did a full charcoal basket make it through the entire smoke, or did you have to refuel? Did you use charcoal or lump?

It just depends on the weather, your use of the pan, and whether and when you you wrap the butts in foil. With a full cooker and cheap lump or charcoal, yes, you'll need to refuel.
Possibly not if using Kbb or better, if wrapping and no water in the pan. The door is big though, so refueling is easy. Lots of posters say not to use water if cooking a lot of meat, but I think the water evens out the cook. I'm not mainly talking about cooking temp at the gauge, but I find that wrapping butts in foil or using water in the pan narrows the window between the first one and the last one getting done. Have a tool of some sort handy and you can spin the bottom grate around to check butts through the door. If using water, I like to use a kettle or even two of boiling and top the pan off with hot tap. Chances are it won't need any more water during the cook if you manage your fire well. Good weather and quality charcoal like Wicked Good or Stubbs really helps out on a big cook.

Back