How do you empty ash from WSM

I actually use the 7471 shovel and have had no problems. I scoop the ashes into a metal paint bucket and use that to transfer them to the trash can.

BD

I bought a 40 gal plastic trash can, put a big trash sack inside, and dump the bottom of the WSM into the can.

Be careful.
Before christmas i smoked a couple turkeys
2 days later, i dumped cold ash pan into garbage bag with ashes in it. An hour later that bag was on fire. Almost caught house on fire, blistered and discolored paint on porch wall. Had to repaint before wife found out , id never hear end if it.

Not easy to know theres no smoldering embers without making mud.

Last edited:
Has anybody ever lined the bottom section with aluminum foil to catch Ash. Kind of like lining the water bowl to catch juices? I was thinking of trying it but I'm not sure if it would effect the heat radiating back?

Thats what I do. I thought thats what everyone did, LOL. I don't think there is any residual reflective heat. The shiny part gets covered in ash very quickly. For me, its makes for easy clean up. Just fold in the corners of the foil and throw it away. The few extra cents for the foil is worth it in my view.

Be careful.
Before christmas i smoked a couple turkeys
2 days later, i dumped cold ash pan into garbage bag with ashes in it. An hour later that bag was on fire. Almost caught house on fire, blistered and discolored paint on porch wall. Had to repaint before wife found out , id never hear end if it.

Not easy to know theres no smoldering embers without making mud.

Well, if ya shut down all the vents, all fire should be out in two days.

But I wait longer than that and I fish through the ashes for unburnt charcoal.

"should" is magic word.
But it werent. Totally cold to touch as well
But buried deep in the pile o ashes, something was still warm, that sprang to life with air, hot enough to get the plastic bag burning

I didnt sift it because had been 2 days....and i never had that happen before.

If you use the dang thing everyday than you should dump the ashes in a galvanized metal trash can or like Bryce does....

Tim

I really like Bryce’s method! But, I use the second option proffered by you too, Tim! I bought one for the very purpose!
Thanks, buddy!

I made one from an empty gallon washer fluid container. Leave the cap on and sketch the scoop outline before cutting. Being soft plastic it contours to the base nicely and won’t scratch.

Does anyone use their ashes in compost or in a garden?

No, ash is not good for the garden or the compost pile. I've checked into this before and I can't recall why exactly, I think its due to ash being almost entirely phosphorus ?? It does me no good to read any more, cuz I can't recall what I read :confused:

And I probably should get a metal 40 gal garbage can for my ash, but I will still use a trash sack of some kind.

Refreshed my memory, its charcoal ash that should not be composted or used on garden, they say due to additives added to charcoal.

Lump charcoal ash can be used.

Refreshed my memory, its charcoal ash that should not be composted or used on garden, they say due to additives added to charcoal.

Lump charcoal ash can be used.

Maybe thats what I was thinking - I have been and will be using 100% hardwood, both lump and the Weber briquettes....

I have read over and over it isn't good for compost also. So I dumped it along my fence line to keep the weeds down. That doesn't work, the weeds don't seem to mind. I don't think anything else minds it either as far as that goes. But I still don't put it in the compost pile.
I burn branches and tree/vegetation trimmings,and my fire spot is where i put my charcoal ash.

Back