How do you cut your ribs?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
I'm happy with my rub, cook and sauce (when I want sauce) but haven't figured out the slicing. Backs are easier than sides but I'm still not confident. These days I slice upside down with bones up which hurts the look of the meat side. I generally just do a sauce touch up but I see these people on TV just smashing through them like it's nothing. Any tips?

True. Unless you cut them from the meat side, they look raggedy. You can't use a 'T' square and it seems that every rack is a different angle. I would like to know the secret myself.

Most important tip......a VERY sharp knife!!

I stand the rack on end, and start the cut between the bones. Standing it up allows me to see the angle of the bone I'm cutting, and it's typically easier to start a clean cut at what is really the "end" of the rib when stood on end.

Again, though, nothing will help you get cleanly cut ribs more than a very sharp knife. Did I mention a sharp knife? :)

Rich

I've got a pretty sharp Global boning knife but I find, when I stand ribs on end, they tend to rip near the bottom of the cut (ignoring the potential for overdoneness). I'm not competing in general, but my family does a rib off every year and it's the cut that is my only problem. I can portion for presentation but, with a nice bark, it's tough to get a good chop.

Back