HOW DO YOU COOK YOUR BEER CAN CHICKEN?

Good question, and to go along with that...when you are doing 2 chickens do you place 1 on the top grate and 1 on the bottom (directly below the top 1 or to the side) or place both birds on top grate?

I'm no expert but I've done it both ways...with success. Both are good. I did one a week ago that I cooked at 350*, carefully monitoring the heat and it was moist and delicious. Before that I had been doing them indirect and sort of hit or miss with the temps and the results were sort of hit or miss, too.

Did another several weeks ago at 225-240* for about three hours and it was very good. I really put the smoke to it and you could taste it like you never do with a high heat chick. It was moist as well.

I am doing two this weekend for a 4th party and I will do them slow. Especially when the meat has cooled down, the smokier chicken tastes better to me.

DW has this one down. I, too, do them hot (400) and low (230), and like them both ways. At 400 they are essentially a smoke-roasted chicken much like an oven bird, but tastier. Low and slow they are fantastic as well with the smoky flavor. I use the leftovers in lots of dishes (pot pie, tacos, enchiladas, etc....)

I guess now you'll have to try both (if you haven't already.)

Rich

For beer can chicken, I cheat on my bullet and cook them on my Genesis gasser. I put a cast iron smoke box under the grate on top of the flavorizer bars then turn on the front and rear burners, get it up to 350 and place the yardbird directly in between. I've tried it several different ways and this works great for me. Also, while prepping the birds I put a piece of potato in the neck to "seal in" the steam coming off the cans.

I do it slow...240-250F. I am amazed still that it takes 4 hrs...I seems to jump to 140 quickly but take 2 hrs to finish from there.

I am also amazed all the beer isnt gone after 4 hrs.

I have done them both ways. I always brine them before smoking. I like the low and slow method better. They seem to come out a little moister.

I do em hot. The major tip I can think of is to seal the neck good with toothpic or skewers. when the liquid boils, you'll lose a lot out of the top if it's not sealed. I use a long bamboo skewer and just snap it off.

I think I'm going to try a Weber Poultry cooker. Can't stand for Weber to have a gadget available that I don't have
icon_smile.gif
. I thought their chip soaker, seen here was a waste, later bought one and now love it.

Paul

You'll like it, Paul. Just note that the instruction booklet says to use DIRECT heat when grilling. It should be INDIRECT, as you know. I tried twice to call Weber customer service about the misprint and they were very nice but I could tell they just didn't "get" it.

I cooked four last week, all on the bottom grate. Temperatures were around 240-250. Here's how they turned out:
Finished%2001.jpg

The skin wasn't crisp, of course, due to the low temperature, but the taste was excellent. All I put on the outside was salt and pepper.

I did my first cook on my weber smoker yesterday.
I put a beer can chicken on the top and a whole chicken on the bottom with water in the pan.
I couldn't get the temp. past 310 degrees.
My mistake...I placed foil below the charcoal grate and as the temp. got hot and the ashes dropped the foil curled and blocked the air flow under the coals. The birds were done in about 2 1/2 hours and were great. lesson learned!

Lately I've been using the Chick-can holder, without a can, at 275-300 degrees. Chicken is done in 2 to 2.5 hours, and is very moist. When I used the holder with the can it took much longer to cook chicken; without the can it seems like the chicken is cooking from both the outside and inside(since the cavity is held open), thus the shorter cooking times.

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I think I'm going to try a Weber Poultry cooker. Can't stand for Weber to have a gadget available that I don't have
icon_smile.gif
. I thought their chip soaker, seen here was a waste, later bought one and now love it.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am getting this too after reading someone questioning the paint residue on cans and the high heat combo.

I've been making a ton of beer can chickens as of late for jobs I've been doing. The latest pair I had going at 260 for about 2.5 to 3 hours. Great flavor, just the right amount of smoke as I used three fistfuls of cherry. I also had both chickens cooking on the lower level for consistency purposes. They were both around the same weight, so I only needed a probe in one of them.
I also substitute beercans with aluminum cans used for vegetables or beans. They are much more sturdy, and don't have any ink on them, that makes me paranoid. They are also reusable.

BTW,I also had 4 racks Danish ribs smoking above. I do believe I've had an epiphany of sorts. From now on, it's either 3 and downs, or Danish ribs!!!

Good Luck!

Back