How about some good music links?

The second song was the original, isn't it? Lol. It's the only one I know of.
I had to actually listen to more of it to confirm. Then I went to Google to make sure. I guess it's been a long time since I heard the song. And for whatever reason I was remembering it differently. Facepalm emoji would go here if I had one. .😲.
I guess things aren't always the way you remember them..

I am not a fan of Heavy Metal. The many band names of this genre are foreign to me.

I find intriguing the times when a ballad from distortion ensemblers seems as if almost peaceful. Extreme’s “More Than Words” [1] and Triggerfinger’s interpretation of Lykke Li’s “I Follow Rivers” [2] come to mind. These bands are normally hard and loud sounding noisemakers. The step-down tones of the lighter songs referenced are actually quite enjoyable even though many who might find these tunes pleasing would not like other melodies produced by these bands.

I happen to listen to an interpretation by the band Disturbed of Simon & Garfunkel’s “Sound of Silence” recently. If one were to walk in on the last minute or so of this rendition, one might think the metal singer is just yelling. Perhaps he is. However, the build-up to those final seconds makes the hoarseness seem right. The operatic crescendo of David Draiman’s powerful voice increases almost subtly that the screaming may go unnoticed until the final verse contrasts and brings the rasp back to the measure and quiet of the melody’s inception. May I suggest that you close your eyes when listening to it the first time.

The Sound of Silence
Performed by Disturbed
Written by Paul Simon.

[1] More Than Words
Performed by Extreme. Written by Gary Cherobe and Nuno Bettencourt.

[2] I Follow Rivers
Performed by TriggerFinger. Written by Lykke Li, Bjorn Yttling and Rick Nowels.
On this day 9-11 because of the previous conversation,,,,,

NEVER FORGET...............

The Yardbirds on a French TV show in March 1968. Except for " Dazed and Confused " the music here is not that great. But in the history of rock, its relevant. The Yardbirds at various times, had Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page on lead guitar. This clip is toward the end of their run, Page is on lead.

Later in 1968, the group would break up, but still had contracts to fulfill on a few remaining gigs. Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham joined with Page to do the gigs, and Led Zeppelin was born .

Today is the first day of Autumn which means the end of summer....

John Prine, Summer's End:
Even thought the calendar changes, the song and video depicts a grandfather and granddaughter coming to terms with the loss of their daughter and mother. A brief flash of a TV report about the opioid crisis explains the devastating story being told and further explained HERE. John is such a story-teller through his music. RIP, John.

I have to admit that the idea of a salsa version of "Layla" gave me some negative vibes, but they actually did a pretty good job and it takes guts to reimagine a great song from one of the greatest albums ever.

Tonight is the beginning of this year's "harvest" moon. I read where it is technically the Full Harvest Moon because it occurs closer to the autumn equinox rather than than September's full moon. Otherwise, it would have been considered Hunter's Moon.

...regardless, I submit for your listening pleasure:

Interesting top 10 compilation... tough to narrow down to only 10.
Thought it was perhaps based on commercial success but "Ramblin' Man" was not on it. Pleasantly surprised to see "Dreams" on it (Molly hatchet did a great cover of this) as well as "Les Brers". I would have included as honorable mentions of "It's Not My Cross to Bear", "One Way Out" and "Soulshine."

Thanks for the link... was getting board with the usual spotify mix while working today... I needed some southern soul and am energized to wrap up my last few hours

Me too, I thought they were biting off a lot to chew trying to narrow Allman Bros down to 10 ........... so much good music, before and after Duane.

Ironic that Berry Oakley also died in a motorcycle accident nearly a year after and very close the location that Duane died on his Sportster. Watched an Eric Clapton documentary a few weeks ago "Life in 12 Bars" and in it, it related that Duane and Eric were in awe of each other and then they got to collaborate on the Layla and other Love Songs album.

I was fortunate to see Gregg Allman in the 80's at the Stone Pony during his I'm No Angel tour.

Duane had huge influence on Eric. Duane played large role in Derek and the Dominoes " Layla and other Assorted Love Songs " . But Eric has never played the slide like Duane, nobody really has.

I would have included as honorable mentions of "It's Not My Cross to Bear", "One Way Out" and "Soulshine."
"Stormy Monday" would be on my list.

The right way to do it would've been to make 2 lists: "Top 10 ABB Studio Songs" and "Top 10 ABB Live Songs".

Could not agree more... imagine what music would be like today if not for that fateful day.
I can't remember where on the internet I read it but according to Butch Trucks, about a year before the accident Duane almost died of an OD, and while the doctors were working on him Butch prayed that he could pull through for just 1 more year.

Last edited:
Spotify vrs Amazon music

Right now, I have both. I've had Amazon music for several years because it was convenient to purchase music, but with Amazon Ultimate I rarely need to purchase music. I pay $7 a month for Ultimate ( I think that's what they call it ) instead of the free version that comes with Amazon Prime.

I really like Spotify. I think it sounds better. Easier to navigate. Probably a larger selection than Amazon, not sure about that though.

Im thinkin bout making the jump, but its not an easy thing to do.

Spotify vrs Amazon music

Right now, I have both. I've had Amazon music for several years because it was convenient to purchase music, but with Amazon Ultimate I rarely need to purchase music. I pay $7 a month for Ultimate ( I think that's what they call it ) instead of the free version that comes with Amazon Prime.

I really like Spotify. I think it sounds better. Easier to navigate. Probably a larger selection than Amazon, not sure about that though.

Im thinkin bout making the jump, but its not an easy thing to do.

Let me know what you think if you do. I've been with Google Play Music for quite a while, which I like and it works great with all my Google Speakers in the house. But it's being discontinued and I've not been as happy so far with its replacement, YouTube Music (it's slowly been improving, but has quite a way to go still). I have an Amazon Prime account and have used the free Amazon Music a little, and I do also have a couple of Echos (yes, I have a gadget problem). But I have been considering trying out Spotify or Pandora, which I believe will work with both Google and Alexa. I consider good music streaming outside as an essential tool to the grilling/smoking process.

From what I know , right now .............. and if the slate was clean and I was not already deeply invested in Amazon Music, i.e. music I own , playlists, etc ............... I would go Spotify.

I think its easier to navigate and the sound quality is better, which I know is subjective, but it sounds better to me.

Unfortunately Mac Davis passed away Tuesday at the age of 78, so here he is singing one of my favorites of his on Johnny Cash's TV show way back when:

And in one of those quirky "you can't make this stuff up" twists Helen Reddy also died Tuesday, was also age 78, and also recorded "I Believe In Music".

Back