Hot cook for brisket on 22 "

Habanero Mike

TVWBB Member
I will be doing a hot cook on a brisket tomorrow and never did a cook at 375 to 400 on my 22” bullet. Has anybody done a cook at this temp and know the vent setting off hand.

I know that I will need to start at a higher at first then reset the vents later on. Example... top vent open all the way and two bottom vent open 100% until temp is at 450, once meat goes on, temp will lower to 350 then set both bottom vents to 75% open, once meat is on; in order to have a 375 cook from this point on?

PS- with Kingsford and dry water pan.

This is how I do HH brisket.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?28113
I cook it at 325F.

I've done chicken wings on my 22 1/2" WSM (no water). Using KBB, I can hit 350F. Propping the door open a bit, I was able to get it to 375F long enough to crisp up the skin.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Bob

My guess would be all vents wide open and the door cracked. 400 might be tough to get to with the WSM.

Well I like the smoke ring from the WSM which I use in competitions. Using a Stoker I could not reach 375 for a solid duration on my 18" but... I was hoping that not using the Stoker and just going natural on the 22" would be different. Well maybe I need to cook this guy on my Primo Oval and forget about the smoke ring. :confused:

Mike.
I don't have the big boy WSM yet, but it shouldn't be that different than using the little guy for HH besides using more fuel. Load up on the K, leave vents wide open and crack the lid or prop the door open or both.
I haven't used K in quite awhile, but I do remember getting some killer smoke-rings when I did.

Edit:
I don't wait for a specific temp to load the meat on. I Minion the start and load the meat right away.

Tim

Last edited:
With my DigiQ controller and my 22" I have to open at least one and ideally two vents in addition to the 10cfm fan to hit 350 in a reasonable amount of time. Once it's at temp I leave one open all the way and then the control unit just adds to that. It's pretty straightforward (well, except the time my door fell off and it shot up north of 500, but that's a whole different story!).

So to understand correctly, you have both bottom vents open all the way until you hit your target temp then...you close one of the bottom vents to maintain target temp?
With my DigiQ controller and my 22" I have to open at least one and ideally two vents in addition to the 10cfm fan to hit 350 in a reasonable amount of time. Once it's at temp I leave one open all the way and then the control unit just adds to that. It's pretty straightforward (well, except the time my door fell off and it shot up north of 500, but that's a whole different story!).

Well 2nd worst brisket ever

Cook temp 375 4.5 hrs.

Too much rub and too much trimming almost separating the tip from the flat which I do at lower temperatures. This resulted in the tip cooking faster 205 at hr 3 but flat was at 180. I added the temp probe to the flat and cooked for an addition 1.5 hrs until flat was at 205 ( still did not have a good soft probe test) and wrapped for 4 hours. The tip looks like a piece of coal and almost as hard and the flat was too dry and salty; messed up.:mad:

I did cook this in my Primo which I can manage this temp well with a water pan as well. Nice smoke ring most likely from the holler burning wood and the over salting. I have done this
before with good results but this one was a mess.

Have a look at this.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?7188-High-Heat-Brisket-Method-A-Compilation

If you follow this method you will have a great brisket. I personally don't think the smoke flavor is as good HH as compared to LNS but you can't beat the convenience. I did this brisket last weekend.
IMG_1330.jpg
This is the packer coming off at 168 degrees before separating the Point, ready to be foiled.
The next photo shows the liquid the flat threw in the foil.
IMG_1335.jpg
[/IMG] Done in an hour an a half, cooked until jiggly. I did not take an internal temp at this point as I could tell by the feel it was done.
I reached 168 in about 3 1/2 hours. This was a 13 lb brisket. I did not trim it very much. My dome temp was 300 so my grill temp was probably 325-330 or so.

- Thanks for sharing but I am confused on the time one you mention 1.5 hr and the other you mention 3.5 hrs??

- have heard about the jiggle test this must be due to the fat between the point and the flat that allows the brisket to jiggle??

- I have never cooked a brisket below 186 and that was a slow cook. Was yours finished at 168? If this is so how easily did it pull apart for tenderness??
Have a look at this.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?7188-High-Heat-Brisket-Method-A-Compilation

If you follow this method you will have a great brisket. I personally don't think the smoke flavor is as good HH as compared to LNS but you can't beat the convenience. I did this brisket last weekend.
IMG_1330.jpg
This is the packer coming off at 168 degrees before separating the Point, ready to be foiled.
The next photo shows the liquid the flat threw in the foil.
IMG_1335.jpg
[/IMG] Done in an hour an a half, cooked until jiggly. I did not take an internal temp at this point as I could tell by the feel it was done.
I reached 168 in about 3 1/2 hours. This was a 13 lb brisket. I did not trim it very much. My dome temp was 300 so my grill temp was probably 325-330 or so.

Hi Mike. It took 3 1/2 hours for the packer to reach 168. Then the Point was separated and the Flat was foiled. It took another 1 1/2 hours to cook the Flat in foil to where it was jiggly. Nothing to do with the Point at all. It's the connective tissue not the fat, breaking down that makes the Flat jiggly.

Yes there is plenty of fat in the Point. I did not mention the Point in your post only because I wanted you to see the whole brisket and notice the moisture. It was sweating which is what happens when they stall. As far as the Point is concerned I continued to smoke it, unfoiled for about the same time as the flat and then cut it up into burnt ends and placed them in a pan. I held the flat in a cooler until the burnt ends were done. They rendered out even more. I have more pics I just did not include them. Here is the link to the post I made about my cook following the directions of the post. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37167-Dual-Exhausts

If you read the link I sent you and follow those instructions you can't go wrong and it is not necessary to cook at such a high temp. I think you simply cooked it way too hot and dried it out. That was why I also wanted you to see the photo of the liquid it gave off.
Hope this helps

The highest I can get is 330* (measured at the grate with a mav ET-73) with a full chimney of lit lump onto a ring full of unlit lump with a dry water pan and foiled terra cotta saucer, lower and upper vents 100% open. I like that though - I know where I will be when I put it all together.

Thanks Gary for your input this helps me a ton. I have cooked many briskets but the cooking range has mostly been 235-250 hood temp.
Hi Mike. It took 3 1/2 hours for the packer to reach 168. Then the Point was separated and the Flat was foiled. It took another 1 1/2 hours to cook the Flat in foil to where it was jiggly. Nothing to do with the Point at all. It's the connective tissue not the fat, breaking down that makes the Flat jiggly.

Yes there is plenty of fat in the Point. I did not mention the Point in your post only because I wanted you to see the whole brisket and notice the moisture. It was sweating which is what happens when they stall. As far as the Point is concerned I continued to smoke it, unfoiled for about the same time as the flat and then cut it up into burnt ends and placed them in a pan. I held the flat in a cooler until the burnt ends were done. They rendered out even more. I have more pics I just did not include them. Here is the link to the post I made about my cook following the directions of the post. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37167-Dual-Exhausts

If you read the link I sent you and follow those instructions you can't go wrong and it is not necessary to cook at such a high temp. I think you simply cooked it way too hot and dried it out. That was why I also wanted you to see the photo of the liquid it gave off.
Hope this helps

I've cooked 7 briskets since the spring, three LNS and now four HH. I cut a second dome vent in my smoker to asist me in getting to the temps I need more easily but I get better smoke rings and smoke flavor LNS. I kept thinking I would overcome the difference by putting more wood on but after this last time I have come to realize it's just the difference in the cook. With LNS the meat does not warm up as quick and I think absorbs more. I've read on here smoke absorption decreases over 140 degrees. You will notice in the article it is suggested the meat go on cold and right away. I generally do that and because I don't use KB I do not have to worry about burn off with the briquettes.
I know the ring is a chemical reaction and is as much if not more of an appearance thing but it's neat to see on a cut of beef.
I guess I am going to have to go back to getting up a 4:00am to cook my briskets:rolleyes::wsm:

Last edited:
I've cooked 7 briskets since the spring, three LNS and now four HH. I cut a second dome vent in my smoker to asist me in getting to the temps I need more easily but I get better smoke rings and smoke flavor LNS. I kept thinking I would overcome the difference buy putting more wood on but after this last time I have come to realize it's just the difference in the cook. With LNS the meat does not warm up as quick and I think absorbs more. I've read on here smoke absorption decreases over 140 degrees. You will notice in the article it is suggested the meat go on cold and right away. I generally do that and because I don't use KB I do not have to worry about burn off with the briquettes.
I know the ring is a chemical reaction and is as much if not more of an appearance thing but it's neat to see on a cut of beef.
I guess I am going to have to go back to getting up a 4:00am to cook my briskets:rolleyes::wsm:

Maybe ther's a compromise Gary. Somewhere in between HH and LNS to get the ring you're looking for AND the times reduced.

"Maybe ther's a compromise Gary. Somewhere in between HH and LNS to get the ring you're looking for AND the times reduced."

I'm hoping your right Dwain. I'm gonna give 260-275 a try and see what happens there. That temp is easier to reach and easy to maintain.

Well because of the theory of smoke ring stopping in the neighborhood of 140 to 160 Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ puts is meat on cold but he says you still get smoke flavor throughout the whole cook. Some feel that the slower cook allows enzymes to release in the beginning which add flavor. One step at a time but… once you find your good balance maybe try the following? Start off slow around 225 until you get to 150 brisket temp, foil and crank up the heat to finish; just food for thought.
Maybe ther's a compromise Gary. Somewhere in between HH and LNS to get the ring you're looking for AND the times reduced.

Back