Hot and Fast Brisket - I'm a believer!

Rick P

TVWBB Pro
It was a little tricky, but with the help of a chunk of wood, I managed to make this bad-boy fit under the lid of 18.5" WSM. 15.5 lb, trimmed, Prime packer. 7hrs & 15 minutes cook time. This is the 2nd "hot & fast" brisket that I've done. No more low and slow briskets for me!hot and fast brisket start.jpghot and fast brisket 1.jpghot and fast brisket slice.jpg

How hot? How long in the smoke? How long in th wrap?
B&B briquettes and a couple chunks of pecan and some freshly cut cherry wood, buried in the charcoal.
~350° - 365° at the grate. Fat-side down.
After it hit 170°, in the flat, I wasn't happy with the bark, so I let go to 175°, and the bark was set. I'm thinking it was about 5 hrs into the cook.

After that, I stuck it in a tightly covered Al pan, (fat-side up), with a couple healthy dollops of beef tallow, (that I rendered the day before after trimming), in the bottom of the pan.

It never stalled or, if it did, it was blessedly short. The first "hot & fast" brisket that I did never really stalled either.

I know you typed “no more low and slow briskets for you.” So do you or did you see any difference between the two ways in texture, taste smoke flavor...? I do just about everything you said with mine including the tallow. But not Hot and Fast. I have bin thinking about doing it this way for a while. I have to say. You really got me wanting to give this a shot! With all considering. It would probably save me at least 7hours extra cooking time.

I have had thoughts about similar things but in my head it was hotter at the start to a more cooler temp as internal meat temps rise.
I want to believe that the tenderness doesn't start happening until things get warm enough inside like say 160 or so or maybe even 180.....
At that point the longer you could drag out reaching 200 would seem like a benefit to me......benefit being a nice tender brisket and not saving a huge amount of time....but saving maybe a couple hours. This would make my brisket cook more reasonable...starting at sunrise and pushing to have it ready for say 7ish is always a mild struggle.

I know you typed “no more low and slow briskets for you.” So do you or did you see any difference between the two ways in texture, taste smoke flavor...? I do just about everything you said with mine including the tallow. But not Hot and Fast. I have bin thinking about doing it this way for a while. I have to say. You really got me wanting to give this a shot! With all considering. It would probably save me at least 7hours extra cooking time.
The only difference is the cook time.
I've smoked a lot of briskets over the years, and was skeptical, (apprehensive?), on the first hot & fast brisket. That's part of the reason I tried it a second time, (just in case the first one was a fluke), but it turned out perfectly and I will never go back.

I have had thoughts about similar things but in my head it was hotter at the start to a more cooler temp as internal meat temps rise.
I want to believe that the tenderness doesn't start happening until things get warm enough inside like say 160 or so or maybe even 180.....
At that point the longer you could drag out reaching 200 would seem like a benefit to me......benefit being a nice tender brisket and not saving a huge amount of time....but saving maybe a couple hours. This would make my brisket cook more reasonable...starting at sunrise and pushing to have it ready for say 7ish is always a mild struggle.
I agree...to a point.

Even with "hot & fast" the temp is in the "rendering" zone, for several hours. The meat was as juicy and tender as any that I've done low and slow, (and I've done a lot of briskets), so I don't see the need to drag it out any longer. "Hot and fast" is kind of relative anyway. The cook was 7 hours and 15 minutes, but with resting time, it was still 9+hrs before sitting down to eat ;)

It's been my experience that longer rest times are important and I don't event think about slicing until the the internal temp reaches the 150-ish range.

I wouldn't mind trying the same method on a chuckie,(because they are agonizingly slow to smoke), but I'm not sure how well that would work on such a small cut. I'll try to find a big one....the problem is that chuck roasts are prices like ribeyes used to be...even on sale they're pricey.

Back