Hoping third times the charm for my SnS

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I wasn't too happy with my first two uses of the Slow n Sear because both times the coals became overly lit too fast for any kind of low and slow cooking.
First time was on my old Performer using Kingsford Pro. Started with very few lit at one end, but in a short period of time the temp was over 300, when I was shooting for no more than 250 for my short ribs.

Second time was a tri tip on the new Performer using B&B briquettes because they are slower to minion, at least for me. I wanted low and slow, then reverse sear, but even with B&B the fire was too hot too soon.
I'm no newbie, I know how to control temps with the vents, but even with the bottom vents barely cracked and top vent closed to about half the coals still lit too fast.
With the snake/fuse method only a few can start at a time, but with a fair load in the SnS they seemed to fire up like crazy.

Water was used with the short ribs, not the tri tip, both turned out very good but done way too soon.
Baby backs today with water and some Aldi charcoal that I'm pretty sure is made from coconut shells. It's hard to get burning so I'm hoping it minions slowly.

I haven't used my SnS yet, but it sounds like your kettle is leaky. It has to be getting air somewhere. I'd take everything out of the kettle and examine it for air flow paths. Can it self-extinguish coals if you close all the vents? That would be a good test, IMO.

I haven't used my SnS yet, but it sounds like your kettle is leaky. It has to be getting air somewhere. I'd take everything out of the kettle and examine it for air flow paths. Can it self-extinguish coals if you close all the vents? That would be a good test, IMO.
Thanks for your suggestion.
My old one didn't seal real tight at the sweeper blades, my new one seals tight.
All that was taken into account.

I wasn't too happy with my first two uses of the Slow n Sear because both times the coals became overly lit too fast for any kind of low and slow cooking.
First time was on my old Performer using Kingsford Pro. Started with very few lit at one end, but in a short period of time the temp was over 300, when I was shooting for no more than 250 for my short ribs.

Second time was a tri tip on the new Performer using B&B briquettes because they are slower to minion, at least for me. I wanted low and slow, then reverse sear, but even with B&B the fire was too hot too soon.
I'm no newbie, I know how to control temps with the vents, but even with the bottom vents barely cracked and top vent closed to about half the coals still lit too fast.
With the snake/fuse method only a few can start at a time, but with a fair load in the SnS they seemed to fire up like crazy.

Water was used with the short ribs, not the tri tip, both turned out very good but done way too soon.
Baby backs today with water and some Aldi charcoal that I'm pretty sure is made from coconut shells. It's hard to get burning so I'm hoping it minions slowly.
I've pretty easily kept it in the 24-240 range with the SnS. even not using any water. Like someone mentioned, probably need to look for some major leaks...I've kept the top vent open all the way and the bottom's just a crack...maybe 1/8th of an inch and seem to do great for 5 or 6 hours. Good luck!

I had the same experience with my new Performer also, Bob. But I admit I was setting the bottom vent to the 'smoke' setting and trying to control the temp with the top vent. Way too much air from the bottom for the SnS, bottom open just a crack worked a lot better. A drip pan just magnified the problem. I have a charcoal ring and diffuser that I use for low and slow. With the bottom vent on 'smoke', controlling the temp with the top works great. I don't use my SnS for low and slow anymore.

If I choked down any more I'd fear creosote to be a concern.
My thought is that their recommended full basket is too much charcoal. When the fire gets to about half way, the earlier coals are still burning and that's a lot of lit going. Got my BBs on now and so far she's holding around 250. I started with 5 lit B&B's and maybe half a chimney of the Aldi.

I have no problem keeping my Weber with SnS at 100 C, 212 F. Light about ten briquettes, put at one end of a full basket, waterpan full and vents really small. I do have a gasket on the lid and two bricks under my dripngriddlre. Steady for hours. No creosote. Guess you have a leak somewhere.

While I appreciate the comments about air leaks, I'll reiterate, I know very well how air and fire works.
With about half the amount of charcoal they call for, and a type that's harder to light It's been holding a pretty steady 250 for almost 3 hours now on my rib cook.
I have he original model, and suppose the one with a bottom grate will slow the air flow somewhat by comparison.

I had some issues with the SnS when I was using it. I believe my path to success involved lighting the very corner of the SnS, with the water trough full of water, and running vents full open until the temp hits around 200, then choking down the vents to almost closed when the kettle hits around 200F to slow it down before it overshoots.

I had some issues with the SnS when I was using it. I believe my path to success involved lighting the very corner of the SnS, with the water trough full of water, and running vents full open until the temp hits around 200, then choking down the vents to almost closed when the kettle hits around 200F to slow it down before it overshoots.

Sounds very komado like. About 40-50F before the target, you need to start thinking about the rate of temp increase and decide when to start closing it up.

That weird. I haven't used my SNS for slow cooks that much but the times I had it held 225 so well I though my remote thermometer broke. I think I did use water, though. I'm trying to remember if I had to use any clips. or anything. Some people use those binder clips to really hold the lid down well. I think I did do that back when I was running the Smokenator.

I just follow the lighting directions on the SnS, and it works. The only difference is that I let the temp hit 210, before, adjusting the top vent to 1/2 and bottom a crack. Mine tends to settle in at ~ 240, but I can take it down to 200, if the cook warrants.

6. Open the vent until temperature reaches 150° F to 175° F​

Open the top vent fully and the bottom vent about halfway. The temperature will slowly rise as the grill and the water in the reservoir begin to heat up. When the temp at grate level reaches 150° F to 175° F, close the top vent to about ½ open, and the bottom vent to a crack (¼” wide). Continue to monitor and adjust vents as pit temp settles in between 225° and 250° F. Adjust vent settings as necessary based on weather/altitude.>

I don't ever light briquets separately when smoking with charcoal. It is very hard to oxygen-starve already lit briquettes in a Weber. They're not designed to be air-tight. I tuck two Weber cubes or tumbleweeds into the charcoal in either my SnS or the charcoal basket of my WSM. Light starters and keep uncovered until flames are gone. Add smoke wood chunks and close 'er up. Bring up to temp and add your desired critter parts.

I don't ever light briquets separately when smoking with charcoal. It is very hard to oxygen-starve already lit briquettes in a Weber. They're not designed to be air-tight. I tuck two Weber cubes or tumbleweeds into the charcoal in either my SnS or the charcoal basket of my WSM. Light starters and keep uncovered until flames are gone. Add smoke wood chunks and close 'er up. Bring up to temp and add your desired critter parts.
I can shut down my kettle and reuse charcoal. And I bury my chunks/close up the kettle after I light my starter square. Otherwise - I agree with this post as my preferred method to minion (in a kettle and otherwise).
Every time I read a similar thread about SnS, I consider buying one. But even with their drastic reduction, I am going to resist. Bob mentioned the snake method. Banking charcoal for a minion works great too. Feel like the SnS would be fun to fiddle with but don't need another accessory floating about.

I can shut down my kettle and reuse charcoal. And I bury my chunks/close up the kettle after I light my starter square. Otherwise - I agree with this post as my preferred method to minion (in a kettle and otherwise).
Every time I read a similar thread about SnS, I consider buying one. But even with their drastic reduction, I am going to resist. Bob mentioned the snake method. Banking charcoal for a minion works great too. Feel like the SnS would be fun to fiddle with but don't need another accessory floating about.
Collecting accessories for grills is a slippery slope..... I'm divesting right now. Some people have a lot of outdoor storage space but mine is kind of limited so I'm trying not limit my collection as well.

Back