Hope these pics go thru...! If not, sorry will try again later

Thanks! Visiting some dear friends in So. Illinois and I mentioned my renewed interest in Webers and if they knew of anyone with vintage ones. They had this stashed away and they hardly ever used it while in their possession. Turns out it was my late brother's and they insisted I take it home!! Didn't even think about this one he had, it was years ago! Miss that guy...
Here's the method I used to clean it up: disclaimer- follow at your discretion!!
Soak inside top and bottom with grates inside w heavy duty oven spray. Put top on, close vents and set in sun all day or overnite. Home duty electric power washer then blasts grime away, couple spots used hard plastic scraper or even a wood wedge/shim would do it.
Outer surface of kettle: Spray on citrus type cleaner, then mix strong solution of oxyclean in bucket in hot as you can handle it water using 0000 steel wool. (glove-up). Then polished with paste car wax I had on hand after entire exterior including vents was rinsed and dry.
Legs: Brillo pads, rinse and dry. Then 0000 wool. Then Brasso with cloth. Finally the paste wax.
Triangle base: Put in workmate bench and used circular disc brass bristle in my cordless drill and tried to get at every nook and cranny. Then wiped with very light oil on a cloth.
Twist on "saucer" ash catcher: Brillo pad as good as it would do...
Aluminum vents: brillo, rinse and dry, then 0000 wool to help remove swirls.
Wheels I cleaned then spray painted. Had new axle caps from Weber. Wood handle I sanded and used polyurethane.
Grates were brass wire scrubbed with cordless drill also, then rinsed, canola-oiled, and "seasoned" cooked in another grill. Re-oiled the cooking grate a couple times more while super hot.
Thanks for your comments and interest! Hope to see your pics of a restoration!!

Last edited:
Thank you for the cleaning recipe. I have a 2000 SS Performer that needs a good restore, just waiting (still) on Weber to ship my parts.. I ordered them on 9/18 and just today, I see they finally sent order to the warehouse, I'm hoping that means they will be shipping soon so I can start my project! I can only hope my kettle comes out half as clean and whiney as yours! Great Job!

your brother would be so happy you found that.. what a keeper with a wonderful story behind it. man you have to feel good about that.. congrats.

Turns out it was my late brother's and they insisted I take it home!! Didn't even think about this one he had, it was years ago! Miss that guy...
Congrats Gerry for finding an family heirloom. That "pat pend" and those leg sockets puts that right about 1969-1970 right about 45 years old. Looks great for it's age. I recently picked up a 1978, I really like the daisy wheels (bottom vents) for temp control, much better than the sweep (imho)

Enjoy that grill

Back