Homemade Burger or Restaurant Burger?

What's your favorite hamburger?

• Homemade Burger

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Restaurant Burger

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chris, I just posted the 3 burger recipes from Weber's Big Book of Burgers that I had posted on my BBQ/Grilling Cookbook thread on the BEEF thread in case someone had missed them.

Bummer, I didn't know today is Burger Day. We had hamburgers on Friday and lamb burgers last night (and roti chicken on Sunday and baby backs on Memorial Day), so tonight and following nights I think we're just having salad.

It’s also National Brisket Day.
Wait. What? National Brisket Day and National Hamburger Day on the same day? That calls for a brisket burger!

brisket-burger.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You get the point.

I chose the homemade, duh.
But sometimes you just want a really good burger without the clean up!
We have a couple favorite go-to's, some of which are chains and 3 or 4 local joints that we can't wait to get back to!

I chose homemade - since I started grinding my own meat, it has been a game changer.
On the flip side (Haa! See what I did there?), I'm a sucker for a double double from In n Out!

Hard comparison to make - you do the work vs. someone else does the work. I used to make good hamburgers, until I started overworking the grocery-store ground beef, and the grilled patties were tough.
My best home-made burgers came recently after I decided to try grinding chuck roast, made smashburgers, and cooked them in a cast iron skillet. Bun, meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, and minimal seasoning. The best!

The bun gives the restaurant burger an advantage that is usually out of the reach of us DIY burgermeisters. The best independent burger places in these part all seem to shine in the bun department. I asked the owner of our local fave and he says he has an exclusive brioche recipe that a local baker does for him.

I prefer our home grind, mainly because it's ours. When I trim a brisket, I often cut a few inches off the thin end, cube it up and freeze it. Same with pork rib trimmings. When I accumulate 2 or 3 pounds, I'll get a nice fatty chuck roast and grind them all together at about 50% chuck, 40% brisket and 10% pork rib. Makes a tasty burger ... if I can find a decent bun.

Jeff

My wife & daughters swear my burgers are the best. NYC daughter is home now thru this virus, and it came up again. I'm not a burger guy, I'd rather a tubed meat, but they do clamor for me to make them. I use 90/10 burger, a little season salt, hot cast iron skillet. When the bottom is crusted, flip & place the swiss american cheese. Pop a lid on, turn off burner. When cheese is melted to the pan, they're done, yet still juicy. I also believe what bun you use is very important. Last thing you'd want for any sandwich is a cheap dry bun that falls apart. So I usually buy Ballpark's Crustini or Sesame rolls, and Ballpark Brat rolls for dogs & sausages.

When I use fire, I have a cast iron flat griddle on half the grill, and get flame on the burgers for extra flavor.

Been grinding our own now for a few years. Mostly chuck and If I want a little leaner grind I'll add some top round or whatever lean roasts that are on sale I can find.
Also do about a 20/80 mix of ground pork shoulder 20% and chuck 80% makes a nice very moist burger.

@Chris Allingham, is there some sort of a calendar you can put somewhere, that would say what upcoming national food days are coming up?

I don't know if you want to make it a sticky on a forum, or put it somewhere else on your site. But something like this could help with advance preparation.

For example, 1 week prior, maybe some kind of an alert or something that national burger day is coming up.

Just an idea, on how to get more awareness for these days.

@Chris Allingham, is there some sort of a calendar you can put somewhere, that would say what upcoming national food days are coming up?

I don't know if you want to make it a sticky on a forum, or put it somewhere else on your site. But something like this could help with advance preparation.

For example, 1 week prior, maybe some kind of an alert or something that national burger day is coming up.

Just an idea, on how to get more awareness for these days.
Hi Arun, here is a link also to the one I use. https://nationaldaycalendar.com/calendar-at-a-glance/

When I trim a brisket, I often cut a few inches off the thin end, cube it up and freeze it. Same with pork rib trimmings. When I accumulate 2 or 3 pounds, I'll get a nice fatty chuck roast and grind them all together at about 50% chuck, 40% brisket and 10% pork rib. Makes a tasty burger ... if I can find a decent bun.
Great argument for saving the trimmings of anything...for those who trim.;)

Here's a link you can bookmark in your browser. Not sure it warrants a sticky post.

Today is National Olive Day. See my post on the Beef thread. Check the calendar, 3 good ones tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back