Home ground chuck and sirloin burgers and some with BACON

Here’s that 65/35 burger. Quite an event when cooking these. I’d recco 70/30 as your fattiest burger. The 65/35 dripped everywhere when eating them.

View attachment 51378

Just note, I’m doing what everyone can do. So don’t be afraid. Just go for it. Experiment and enjoy the process.

Then you can move up to a bacon bleu burger. Those are a huge hit here at home.

Post your pics when ready.
Is that an old pic? or did you fire up the gasser ?

Is that an old pic? or did you fire up the gasser ?
old prev Summit S620E i think. this pic was from July 15 2019. this one had box rot and i sold it for $100 to a guy who was a metal fabber. he welded some steel plate on the front inside of the lower box to stop the fire burn through. i then bought a used S670 which sits idle on my patio. need to clean her up and sell her. the fam agrees, all she is is a storage container and an expensive one at that, around $1700 for a used one is projected value. wanna buy one? ........ jajajajajajajaajjaaja

i'm a huge fan of costco's meat department. they've done well for me for many years. i try to buy cryovac when i can so i get better value and cut my own steaks and freeze what's for the next cook(s).

there are many different burger blends you can make. i'd recco you start simple and easy; ground chuck roast. around $4.49 a pound, or more these days, you're getting a nice 75/25 to 80/20 burger, depending how much fat you seek when you buy the chuck roast. i tend to buy a 3.5 to 4 pounder which we make our burger from.

the burgers in this cook were 4.5 ounces each. 5 oz is a nice sized burger. 6 oz is a huge burger. 8 oz is if you're a glutton for a hefty burger. IMO, 8 oz is insane, you might as well cook a steak!

when trimming a chuck roast, cut off and discard the silver skin. silver skin does not grind.

i'll have to check my grinder to advise which plate i'm using but i believe it's the largest grinding plate and i always do a double grind. semi frozen meat is best so the fat won't gum up in your grinder. yup, you'll be working with cold, near frozen beef but it works well to grind like this.

my KA is a 325 or 350 watt one, heavy duty, whatever that means these days. i run on speed 4 when grinding.

you can mix is sirloin meat with chuck which these were which make for a nice steak burger. very beefy in flavor without being too dry or mealy where your burger will fall apart. so the trick is enough fat, but never too much fat.

i've done some 65/35 burger on my gasser and those burger generated some serious flame kisses.

i've done 100% ribeye burgers, for fun, and those were great!

my fave would have to be a 50/25/25 of chuck, short rib and brisket, in that order. to me this is the best beef burger flavor and fat wise. many higher end restaurants, ($18+ for a burger) will run this blend and charge you for it.

reply back with any other questions you might have. fresh ground beef is so much better than store ground mystery burgers.

you can grill, flat top or cast iron your burgers. all work well and all have their place, depending what you want to eat.

but the spread. you must have a good spread for your burger. and so much more to go with it for that next-level experience.

welcome to the grind your own rabbit hole. there's a few people here already. they know who they are.
I see a grinder in my near future!

that ciabatta goes well when toasted, and then dipped in EVOO with balsamic, fresh ground black pepper, a pinch of dried italian herbs and some fresh grated pecorino. that and some cold antipasti, along with a few glasses of chianti have been dinner on more than one occasion. and don't forget the roasted red peppers!
I’m right there with ya!
Here’s some of our recent ones.

62F773D5-D708-4773-B405-B31F62D919BC.png
B8232BB9-0A74-47B4-8D15-25E0C8B6DD5B.jpeg
6E36086D-3E21-4861-9515-5A06D4BD333E.jpeg
3E020364-AEE6-40D7-B465-5B292411EA47.png

Last edited:
I see a grinder in my near future!
I’m very happy with this KA attachment one for the smaller batches I run (less than 5# a session).

Meat Grinder Attachment for KitchenAid Stand Mixers, Accessories Included 2 Sausage Stuffer Tubes, Durable Metal Food Grinder Attachments by Kitchood, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VKNHG8/?tag=tvwb-20

There are other more powerful ones too for similar money. Like this one:

2000W Electric Meat Grinder, Heavy Duty Meat Grinder Machine Sausage Stuffer Maker with 3 Grinding Plates and Sausage Stuffing Tubes, Meat Grinder for Home Use and Commercial/ETL Approved https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRS2S8S/?tag=tvwb-20

Brett, thanks for the links. I just ordered the Homedox grinder! (Don’t have a KA) Reading back through the thread, I see that @Rich Dahl has the same machine and is happy with it so far. It’s supposed to be here Sunday, maybe I’ll be making my own burgers on Memorial Day!
PS—Got it for free using Amazon points!

Brett, thanks for the links. I just ordered the Homedox grinder! (Don’t have a KA) Reading back through the thread, I see that @Rich Dahl has the same machine and is happy with it so far. It’s supposed to be here Sunday, maybe I’ll be making my own burgers on Memorial Day!
PS—Got it for free using Amazon points!
Just did another 15 lbs. of chuck so we are set for the summer at least. Took all of about 20 minuets.
Fyi it's a breeze to clean also. Hope you enjoy it.

Back