Home Depot Lump Charcoal

Rick Angiel

TVWBB Fan
Was in my local Home Depot today, and thought I'd see what they had for charcoal. I guess they decided to skip on the Rancher, and go for Cowboy lump
icon_frown.gif
What a disappointment! I guess I need to stock up on the Picnic I get at a local latin market.

Rick

Rats...I just opened my last bag for a rib roast on the kettle and I was wondering if I was going to be able to pick up some more this spring.

I live in a pretty remote area (3 hours to HD), anyone know if there are on line retailers that stock Rancher? I have done searches, but come up empty every time.

On a 1-10 scale, with 10 being best for total product quality, I'd rank them as follows (JMO):

Royal Oak- 7
Wicked Good Comp- 10
Picnic- 10
B & B - 8
Cowboy - 1

Never tried Kingsford lump. Looks like wal mart is going to force me too ( I like to grill with Royal Oak for it's faster start up time) as there was no stock of RO at a local WM.

Still want to try Lazzerri's and Humphreys.

kingsford lump is just OK. i found that you can't reuse as much as you do with RO. even after you close things down the kinsford charwood burns to ash. i like RO because what i don't use can easily be reused next time.

Originally posted by craig castille:

Wicked Good Comp- 10

Still want to try Lazzerri's

wicked good is head and shoulders above anything i have ever tired.even the weekend warrior aint to shabby.
oh and i have used lazzarri's.it crackles and pops a bit.it burns REAL HOT but puckers out pretty quick.

My HD stocks Cowboy also. Bummer!!!! I'll have to see what Lowes, Wally World, or Menards carries.

Originally posted by jacob samarin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:

Wicked Good Comp- 10

Still want to try Lazzerri's

wicked good is head and shoulders above anything i have ever tired.even the weekend warrior aint to shabby.
oh and i have used lazzarri's.it crackles and pops a bit.it burns REAL HOT but puckers out pretty quick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To bad the Wicked Good Competition no longer exists. I got my hands on 2 bags for $20.00 each as it was on the way out. The guy had 8 more and I wish I had bought them all. It was worth every penny.

Originally posted by craig castille:
On a 1-10 scale, with 10 being best for total product quality, I'd rank them as follows (JMO):

Royal Oak- 7
Wicked Good Comp- 10
Picnic- 10
B & B - 8
Cowboy - 1

Never tried Kingsford lump. Looks like wal mart is going to force me too ( I like to grill with Royal Oak for it's faster start up time) as there was no stock of RO at a local WM.

Still want to try Lazzerri's and Humphreys.
My lump rankings.
icon_biggrin.gif

Maple Leaf Lump 11 (not avail in the states anymore)
icon_frown.gif

WG Lump 10
Hump Lump 10
B&B Oak Lump 9
Ozark Oak Lump 9
Lazzari Mesquite Charcoal 9
Original Charcoal Company Lump 9
RO Lump 8.5
Milazzo Qik Joe Lump Charcoal 8 (small pieces)
Wegmans Lump Charcoal 8 (made by RO but smaller pieces)

You can't go wrong with any of these IMO. B&B Oak is a very Dense Lump, I wish I could get this lump local because I like it alot. I use Humphrey's (Hump Lump) the most since I can get it in 40 lb bags close to home. Maple leaf is awsome but they don't bring it across the border these days, and that's a shame. Hands down the best flavor out of any lump I ever used.

Originally posted by paul h:
Mike, we tried that last year with Rancher and you see how that worked
icon_mad.gif
Yeah,
Maybe it's time to start hounding Original Charcoal Company and see what happens. Worth a shot.
I'm emailing them today.
Steve

Well you have to understand that Rancher was a one time deal..it was surplus a south american company had stockpiled and could not get rid of..there probably will not be another deal like that one

Originally posted by mike tu:
Well you have to understand that Rancher was a one time deal..it was surplus a south american company had stockpiled and could not get rid of..there probably will not be another deal like that one

True...maybe not at the price point we saw last year, but it would be nice to see it in stores again.
Steve

Back