Home Depot Lump Charcoal

The info I have gathered from other bbq forums is that Ranchers briquettes will be back in Home Depot stores in 2009. Ranchers lump will be in Costco in April.

I personally love Ranchers and hate the thought of having to by kingsford when my 2 remaining bags are gone. If you can find it try Fire King Lump by the Struemphs charcoal company. Great stuff! http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag57.htm

I was at HD Saturday and noticed a few pallets of Kingsford and Cowboy lump, I'd never seen it at HD before, the only places that carried Cowboy were Ace and Lowes. I was actually relieved it wasn't Rancher briqs! I would like to try some Rancher Lump, but have a feeling it will be as elusive as Costco lump that never materialized in the Northwest.
As long as I can get Lazarri Mesquite or Wicked Good I'll be a happy camper.

I heard from a source that has a connection with OriginalCharcoal that HD will not have Rancher charcoal again. It was a promo that costs HD $1mil. in 2007!? I haven't heard about "2009"?

Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
I was at HD Saturday and noticed a few pallets of Kingsford and Cowboy lump, I'd never seen it at HD before, the only places that carried Cowboy were Ace and Lowes. I was actually relieved it wasn't Rancher briqs! I would like to try some Rancher Lump, but have a feeling it will be as elusive as Costco lump that never materialized in the Northwest.

As long as I can get Lazarri Mesquite or Wicked
Good I'll be a happy camper.

Brian,
Where do you get your Lazarri charcoal? I'd like to give it a shot. I only saw Kirkland lump once at the Woodinville store. I liked it and hopefully they bring it back.

Steve

I sent this e-mail to them a couple of weeks ago, but have not yet received a response.

Last summer I purchased 10 bags of Rancher from Home Depot in Green Bay (a 4 hour drive from where I live) and I am now down to my last bag. I very much like this charcoal, so, in order to purchase more but to mask the real reason I needed to go, I suggested to my wife that we visit her parents who live in Green Bay. Unfortunately, the Home Depot was out of Rancher. I resisted the urge to bang my head against a Toro riding mower sitting nearby but my children did learn a few new words as we were walking back to the car.

My zip code is 49930, please let me know if there are any stores within 50-60 miles (or any on line retailers) that carry your product. I would very much like to restock without having to visit the in-laws or having my kids share their new vocabulary with my wife.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

The e-mail to Original Charcoal Company is info@originalcharcoal.com. Hopefully someone will get a response.

I called and spoke to somewhere there on Friday. He told me that the Rancher hardwood, not the compressed hardwood briquettes that HD sold, will be available at Costco 4/1. I'm in IL and was told that was the only retailer they would be working with during 2008. He did say they were making an aggressive push to get into more stores by 2009.

I tried Kingsford lump and it had so many sparks that I deemed it unsafe to use unless it is the 4th of July.

I even gave it a chance and tried a second bag and it was as bad if not worse.

I threw both bags away and would use briquettes before I ever used Kingsford lump again.

tt

Yeah a lot of people have said the same thing about kingsford lump...are they doing to start making it in the states?

Originally posted by mike tu:
Yeah a lot of people have said the same thing about kingsford lump...are they doing to start making it in the states?

we can get it here in bakersfield.and yeah,it sparks like crazy!

i was at my local HD today and saw that they are carrying cowboy lump
icon_frown.gif
they should poll their customers before they do that kind of thing.

I ahve a good source for Grove lump but what are you guys using for briquettes in the WSMs or are most using lump in their WSMs?

Originally posted by John Cossman:
I ahve a good source for Grove lump but what are you guys using for briquettes in the WSMs or are most using lump in their WSMs?

Well, I for one haven't used briquettes in a couple of years. I really like the lack of ash with lump, and the fact that you can easily reuse the leftover pieces for the next cook.

Originally posted by jacob samarin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike tu:

we can get it here in bakersfield.and yeah,it sparks like crazy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Nature-Glo I use sparks a lot, too. But I find that, if I load the chimney with leftover lump from the previous cook, there is very little sparking. So I always try to fire up the chimney with the leftovers.

Originally posted by Steve Z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:

As long as I can get Lazarri Mesquite or Wicked
Good I'll be a happy camper.

Brian,
Where do you get your Lazarri charcoal? I'd like to give it a shot. I only saw Kirkland lump once at the Woodinville store. I liked it and hopefully they bring it back.

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cash and Carry has Lazarri mesquite in 40# bags and 8# 4paks.
Be prepared to break the 40# bags down to a usable size as the chunks are HUGE!
The Woodinville Costco is near me and I looked all last year for Kirkland lump and Kingford briq was all I ever saw.

Originally posted by Branon S.:
The info I have gathered from other bbq forums is that Ranchers briquettes will be back in Home Depot stores in 2009. Ranchers lump will be in Costco in April.

When you say Rancher Lump, do you mean Original Charcoal Company Lump? Per the OCC website, the only product they have called "Rancher" is the hardwood briquette that HD carried last year. Their lump charcoal is not called Rancher.

So I wonder, is Costco supposed to be getting Rancher or Original Charcoal Company Lump?

http://www.originalcharcoal.com/

Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Maple Leaf Lump 11
Boy, I hear you there. Loved that stuff.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Clark, It was the best combo of woods, Birch, Beech, and Maple. I should have given it a rating of 15 on a scale of 1-10 That stuff is Da Bomb, lucky Canadians. My first cook on the WSM in 02 was with the Maple Leaf lump, a brisket. My second cook was with the Maple Leaf briqs, a pork butt. I bought 4 bags of each, I wish I would have bought a 100 bags of each.
icon_frown.gif

Back