home depot hardwood charcoal briquettes, $3 for 20lbs

jeff davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Folks,

Stopped by home depot here in ny yesterday and found 20 lbs. of charcoal briquettes on sale for $3. Not sure about other parts of the country, but here in ny, this is a fabulous deal.

I did not see lump, but here is a review of the lump produced by the same company:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag21.htm

and here is the company's web site:

http://www.originalcharcoal.com/

I'm using it tonight, if the results are decent, I'm going back for a lot more...if its still on sale.

I just cooked up a bunch of steaks and the charcoal cooked very hot...I loved it. Tomorrow I'll try ribs but I'm going back for 10 more bags...a seasons worth of grilling.

I picked up six bags yesterday but now I'm thinking I'd better go back tomorrow and stock up. I haven't heard one bad review yet.

Bill

I used this charcole in the WSM on Friday for some BB's and Saturday for a 12.5 lb. Brisket and loved it. I went back to HD and bought 10 more bags. I used it tonight in the Performer on steaks and chicken and again was very pleased.

>>Is that the Rancher charcoal discussed in the thread below?

yes...I bought a bag at home depot, started researching it and then saw that thread. I was going to post in that thread but I wanted to get people's attention about the sale.

HD had 9 bags left picked up 7 (didn't have the heart to just take all of it). I usually wait for the 4th of July when HD sells the 2x24lbs Kingsford bags for $7.99 to stock up. But I need to move away form their new stuff. I just can't seem to get the method down right with the new stuff. I know this subject (New Kingsford) has been beat to death here, as I do more reading here than posting. I still have 1 bag and a half bags of the original Kingsford stuff. Used it this weekend for 3 8lbs butts (one with shoulder blade in). What a pleasure it was using that stuff. I'm hoping this all wood product works well on my WSM. Thanks for posting this sale.

This stuff is great. I've never been a lump fan for smoking because I've found it too inconsistent/hard to control, and I've never been a fan of the new Kingsford (for smoking--grilling works great) because it's also harder to control than the old style.

I just cooked a pork butt and some pastrami on my WSM with this...ran 12 hours and there is plenty of charcoal left over...my guess is this stuff will hold the smoker at temperature for 15-16 hours on a warm day. Doesn't leave much waste, either. I bought two bags initially and just went back and bought another five (I still have a couple of big bags of Kingsford and a couple of bags of lump sitting around).

I just finished a BB rib cook with this stuff and it is really good. Nice steady temps and no kingsford smell. I should have bought more than 2 bags. Damn! I guess I will try and get some more this week.

Last night I smoked ribs and chicken and it was great. Went back for another 10 last night for a total of 15. They have another 100 bags or so...tempted to go back but I suppose I have enough.

I think this is the briquet that was made in south america from lump charcoal..not sure how consistent the supply will be..I tried it and didnt care for it due to the fact that the smoke smell was a little bland.

I have 6 bags......tempting to go get more......

icon_razz.gif

I using this Rancher briquettes for the first time. Not such good luck so far. I use a Stoker and the temp is really varying from 215-240F...it will stay at 220-225...then zoom up to 240F while the stoker shuts everything down..takes 10-15mins for it to lower back down...then stays a bit, then zooms back up. (using the Stoker, the top vent is only at 25% open, so it isnt running away on its own)

How the charcoal can make a difference here, I am unsure.

Tried it out last night grilling some chicken. It burns fine, but seems to produce a very light ash that is susceptible to flying around whenever the lid is removed. That ofcourse lands on the meat....
icon_mad.gif
Never encountered that with Kingsford. It probably wouldn't be an issue in the WSM. But for 2.99...

Back