Holding a pork butt: to shred or not to shred

Russell S

That is the question I present to the board. After reading a few threads, I am torn between wrapping a whole butt or pulling it for next day consumption. I will be smoking two 8# butts with the plan to save one for the following night's event. Pro's/con's to both approaches?? I really don't want to lose my bark, but also don't want to rely on a crutch like BBQ sauce if the pork becomes dry. Also, can you wrap a whole cooked butt in Saran wrap or alum foil only? I don't want soggy bark!

I think a hot or warm butt pulls much easier. Have never had a problem with one drying out if sealed properly, I think it even tastes better after it sits a few days

If your pork is fully cooked and tender, your best bet is pulling it now. Store in smaller quantities. Much easier to reheat and less chance of over-cooking.

Personally, I'll take soggy bark over mushy pork (over-cooked) any day.

Yup, pull hot and then store in whatever portions you desire. I always reheat the sealed meat in hot water and moisture is not a problem.

While is is hot pull into big chunks so you can remove the fat then reheat those pieces when ready and shredd ad bbq sauce that how I do it

:wsm::smokeyjoe::blackkettle:

If your pork is fully cooked and tender, your best bet is pulling it now. Store in smaller quantities. Much easier to reheat and less chance of over-cooking.

Personally, I'll take soggy bark over mushy pork (over-cooked) any day.

I'm with Bob. I would pull it now.

I try to pull same day if possible, but, when I can't, I will pull and save some of the fat to lay on top when I reheat. At time of service, take the fat off before presentation, the fat maintains some moisture without adding foreign liquids or sauce.

Just to speak up from the other side of the fence....

I pop my cooked butts into a disposable aluminum pan and cover with foil on the counter for at least an hour. Then I seal the foil to the top of the pan tightly and they go in to the garage fridge for the rest of the night. Next day I pop the whole works into a warm over (~225-250ish ) and let them warm until the chill is off. Pulling cold meat sucks. I then pull and finishing sauce. Back in the over to reach serving temp. Temp of the second oven trip is dependent on how fast I want to eat.

I have no problems with mushy or over cooked, and when the bark is set, it is set. it is not going to suddenly slide off.

Yea OK.
Food safety wise, the idea is to cool down whole roasts as quickly as possible if your fridging overnite and serving the next day.
I love winter-time for this because I'll put a roast ( loosely tented with foil ) on my outside SS table or even on a pile of snow to cool quickly.
You don't want to tightly wrap a still warm roast and set it in the fridge. That's when the nasties have a chance to grow. Let it breathe/cool overnite in the fridge, while loosely covering it.:)

Tim

I always shred my butts and then keep left overs in tupaware. Reheat with a little sauce in slow cooker and sometimes it tastes better than fresh.

A pork butt wrapped in foil and insulted in some kind of warmer or hot box will remain warm and juicy, ready to shred on site for all the people to see. However, if you've gotta shred ahead of time, sauce accordingly. The longer they're gonna be on hold the more sauce they get, of course you've gotta factor in if you intend to hold hot or heat up as needed. You can also maintain the integrity of the bark by pulling some off, keeping on the side and then dicing and mixing as necessary. And if it still happens to come out a little under the desired temp, remember this...good pulled pork is good, no matter what!

For those who seal, do you seal it right after pulling, still being hot?

I'm in a similar scenario as the original poster, I am preparing a pulled pork on Thursday and want to serve it Friday night. I have those plastic seal bags from IKEA which might do the trick, but I'm not sure if I should put the meat in and seal it completely while it's still warm.. should I?

Back