HM version 4 Rpi 3d print case

Would have to find a battery that can handle a charge overnight as well. Wouldn't be hard but would add some more bulk to it.

Hi Matt. Here a thanks from overseas for the great case! My HM looks awsome now.

2013-05-17201855_zps99f4a403.jpg

Thanks! Got it from eBay, here's a link. Matt made the case and Tom makes them too, just be sure they know about which display you use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x4-2004-C...711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257dacd90f

Thanks for posting that link, that is a hell of a deal on that display! Mouser doesn't stock that model but Digikey has them FOR $38.70!

I think I am gonna hit that ebay auction and get me one, I just want to ask you how yours is working out and if there are any other parts or special considerations I need to make when using this display? I haven't ordered a case yet, but will be doing so soon, I just want to try out this larger display before I order the case....

No issues at all, just have to use a ribbon cable or solder wires.

Thanks, I just ordered two of those 4-line displays, came out to about $8.50 each, can't beat that!
I am going to wait until I get the display before I order cases for my HM(s), I am wondering how you mount the display in the case when it is not connected via pins to the board? I have my display on a ribbon now (hard drive ribbon), will I have room for the ribbon connectors in the case or will I have to solder the ribbon directly to the board?

Go back and take a look at post 279. The display can screw to the case or as you can see in that pic, the ribbon cable can hold it in place.

OK, did that....
So the diplay just floats there on the ribbon and doesnt really mount to anything? It looks in that picture like it is kinda leaning on the metal top of the LAN port, isn't there a danger of shorting out there?
Is the right angle header required to fit the ribbon under there?

RJ,

Would you happen to have the part number for the 90 header on the HM board? I am getting ready to order from Digi-Key. Thanks for all of the help. I went ahead and ordered the display you recommended off of eBay.

Thanks,
Troy

Dave, not sure if this picture shows it well enough but I used a 90 header on the heatermeter and folded a ribbon cable under the display. It holds the display into the opening perfectly.

20130413_165457.jpg

Two of these should do it. Or you could just get one 40 pin and cut to fit. Remember, even though the LCD connection has 16 pins, the center 4 are not used, only the 6 outermost on each end.

Last edited:

Back