HM version 4 Rpi 3d print case

Thanks Matt, appreciate it! I'll look at it more closely over the next couple days and get back. Pretty sure it's a solvable problem by just how I mount the switch. The LCD looks centered, all the various ports/jacks line up, and I haven't soldered in the LED's yet...

All fixed up! Now I just need two more jacks (I apparently only ordered 2 for some silly reason) and the soldering will be done!

Thanks a ton Matt! Case looks great!

http://www.thecondo.net/wp/index.php/heatermeter-part-2/

Just received my case from Matt. It's AWESOME! I finished soldering everything and fired it up. It sounds silly but I was freaking ecstatic when it all worked perfectly! I was halfway expecting a bad solder joint or something!

HeaterMeter Pic

I now have my reprap in full swing and can print cases for those in need. I currently am printing black ABS but have red, olive green, and silver ABS in the mail.

Matt's got me covered too, pictured here in a lovely non-committal gray. I used a green transreflective display (can be read without the backlight) because I am a special snowflake

Fits together so tightly that I'm not even going to bother putting screws in the interior.

They make them in a wide array of colors, polarities, and transmiss...sivity? I used the Pure Green variant, which isn't as crazy green as the Mouser photo suggests. Here's all the options
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/645/79.pdf

To be drop in replacements, you need 5V 16x2 character displays, 80x36mm. Key terms:
Transreflective - lets ambient light in and reflects it, making it readable in sunlight without a backlight
Transmissive - display blocks incoming light, display can't be seen without backlighting
Positive / Negative - Refers to how the characters are formed. My green display is positive, meaning the LCD cell is on where the character is and off where it isn't. The standard black and white display is negative, meaning the whole LCD is "blacked out" except for where the characters are which lets the white backlight through.

The 16x4 and 20x4 displays will probably work as well, although they are obviously different sizes.

Getting started- smoker monitor

I was in the process of searching for S/H constants for the marvick ET-732 probes when I found this thread. And I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose. All great information, but kinda hard to find the beginning and end points. What a cool project. I have a smoker with control, but not wifi and not a web monitor. And this looks like it would great if I just didn't hook up the monitor/control for the fan (or was that the arduino version?).

Is there a FAQ for the raspberry pi based Heat Monitor?
If I just wanted to use this as a monitor, (I have the raspberry pi) where would I find the SD card software?
I found the OSH site for the bare card. Who would I need to contact about a case?

This looks so cool.

Thanks.

Got my case from Matt and assembled my Heatermeter today.
Everything fits pretty snug (no rattling around or movement once installed). All the external ports (fan, DC, HDMI, USB, ethernet) are very accessible. I plugged the DC and fan in a bunch of times because those will get the most use and it seemed like a very solid connection (no movement of connectors was noticeable).

I'm very happy with the case.
Thanks Matt!

Assembly pictures below:

IMG_20130216_161343.jpg

Inside of case

IMG_20130216_161502.jpg

With Heatermeter board installed

IMG_20130216_162155.jpg

RPi added to the stack up

IMG_20130216_162435.jpg

Closed up side view 1. Ethernet recessed a bit and USB ports slightly protruding.

IMG_20130216_162454.jpg

Closed up side view 2. DC recessed a bit and fan connector slightly protruding.

IMG_20130216_162510.jpg

Closed up side view 3. Probe ports flush with case.

IMG_20130216_162517.jpg

Closed up side view 4. HDMI port slightly recessed.

IMG_20130216_163628.jpg

Top view. You can see the extent to which the USB and fan ports overhang on this. It's very minimal, a great fit!

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to share my thoughts.

Thanks again Bryan for this great project!

Take a look at the wiki here:

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki

The raspberry is version 4

dave

I was in the process of searching for S/H constants for the marvick ET-732 probes when I found this thread. And I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose. All great information, but kinda hard to find the beginning and end points. What a cool project. I have a smoker with control, but not wifi and not a web monitor. And this looks like it would great if I just didn't hook up the monitor/control for the fan (or was that the arduino version?).

Is there a FAQ for the raspberry pi based Heat Monitor?
If I just wanted to use this as a monitor, (I have the raspberry pi) where would I find the SD card software?
I found the OSH site for the bare card. Who would I need to contact about a case?

This looks so cool.

Thanks.

Got it. Took a litttle while to piece it all together, 'cause it was just what I was looking for.
PCBs and parts are ordered (already have the probes, Pi's and WiFi). And I've asked about two cases.

Thanks again, what a cool project.

I got my case from Matt last week and it fit great. The round button was out of stock when I built my HeaterMeter, but Matt tweaked the design to fit the square one for me. If anyone else has the square button, don't let that hold you back from getting a case.

case.jpg

Mr. Miller's printed case - one word....... FANTASTIC!

Matt has me covered as well. Damn this case is nice! Photo is of his case in RED material.

heatmeter_lcd_2.jpg

All hooked up, trying this out for the first time with the HeatMeter.

heatmeter_wires.jpg

Money Shot!!!!! ;)

heatmeter_roasted_chicken_2.jpg

Thanks for having dinner with us today! ;)

All the best,
Jeff

I got my case from Matt last week and it fit great. The round button was out of stock when I built my HeaterMeter, but Matt tweaked the design to fit the square one for me. If anyone else has the square button, don't let that hold you back from getting a case.

case.jpg

Colin--Which LCD did you buy and from where? Is it Transreflective (can you see it in the sunlight)?

Matt

Brian,

So if you use the Transmissive, can you up the backlight to see it during the day? Or are we not able to backlight? I love the display color in post #252 but I'm afraid i wouldnt be able to see it during the day.

Let me know.

Matt

So if you use the Transmissive, can you up the backlight to see it during the day? Or are we not able to backlight? I love the display color in post #252 but I'm afraid i wouldnt be able to see it during the day.
Yeah I like the white on black LCD as well, which is why it is the LCD in the parts list. That's with the backlight on in the photo. If the backlight were off, you can just barely make out the text in any lighting scenario. Transmissive displays rely on the backlight to "light up" the dots. Think of the LCD as a bunch of closed shutters and they open to let the backlight shine through. You can only see it if the backlight is strong enough to outshine the ambient light.

A transreflective display blacks out the incoming light from the reflective background making little black pixels. The backlight is actually a front light in this configuration, like shining a flashlight on the display in the dark. No matter how bright it gets the black pixels stay black and the empty space just gets brighter.

EDIT What ho! The NewHaven Display website now has mouseovers to show you what the displays look like with the backlight off. Note that for the transmissive displays they actually get really hard to read at all with the backlight off.

Last edited:
Here's what I was talking about with a printed panel membrane. It is a first try I did for another project. Some spray adhesive got on the window and then I got some acetone on the print at the top that took off the color. I'll do another one, but this is what I was thinking of the the HeaterMeter as well except with a hole for the button too.

It really adds a finished look to the device I think, and you can print whatever you want! $2 color laser print on transparency from Kinkos.

Back