HM version 4 Rpi 3d print case

WAIT, I COULDA HAD BLUE??!!!?!?!?!!

Just kidding, Matt - carry on with my orange case! :D

Might order blue (or another color) for the next one I build....for a friend.....which appears that it may be sooner than later.....

Jarrod

Got my case from Matt and assembled my Heatermeter today.
Everything fits pretty snug (no rattling around or movement once installed). All the external ports (fan, DC, HDMI, USB, ethernet) are very accessible. I plugged the DC and fan in a bunch of times because those will get the most use and it seemed like a very solid connection (no movement of connectors was noticeable).

I'm very happy with the case.
Thanks Matt!

Assembly pictures below:

IMG_20130216_161343.jpg

Inside of case

IMG_20130216_161502.jpg

With Heatermeter board installed

IMG_20130216_162155.jpg

RPi added to the stack up

IMG_20130216_162435.jpg

Closed up side view 1. Ethernet recessed a bit and USB ports slightly protruding.

IMG_20130216_162454.jpg

Closed up side view 2. DC recessed a bit and fan connector slightly protruding.

IMG_20130216_162510.jpg

Closed up side view 3. Probe ports flush with case.

IMG_20130216_162517.jpg

Closed up side view 4. HDMI port slightly recessed.

IMG_20130216_163628.jpg

Top view. You can see the extent to which the USB and fan ports overhang on this. It's very minimal, a great fit!

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to share my thoughts.

Thanks again Bryan for this great project!

I got my case from Matt yesterday and finished my assembly this morning, it's awesome! I'll post up some pics tomorrow when I have time. Really pleased with how this build turned out overall, it's really loads nicer than my 3.x build.

RJ,

If you want I'll extend the box to fit a 4-line display. Will probably lose the HDMI out though. Is this an acceptable trade-off?

Is it a 16X4 or 20x4?

Matt

Thanks Matt! Yeah, I'm not worried about losing the HDMI port, one less place for something to leak in. I have a 16x4 which even though it has a compatible controller, the mapping is different so I would not be able to use the online AVR firmware. It's a simple change to the shift register config in the sketch but I'll probably go with a 20x4 just to keep comparability. My edimax wireless died the other day so I haven't done much, I need to figure out which display I am going to get and then how i will mount it. I'm looking at possibly overlaying the HM board some with the display instead of placing it directly over the pin header. This looks like it will save some space and the display board will be almost flush with the RPi HDMI Connector. How high off the HM board are you mounting the LCD?

Went ahead and ordered a 20x4 with top and bottom connectors for flexibility. I think it may be better to connect via ribbon cable instead of directly to the pin header to make the case a little smaller and give some flexibility on locating the display. Thoughts???

Once you get the LCD in and get it connected take some pictures about where you'd like it to go relative to the button. As long as it's a similar placement to the existing LCD, I can simply extend the opening to accommodate the new LCD. Which display did you order?

I just got a shipment of plastic in today - black, red, ivory/white, silver and orange.

You pick the color.
You pick the hardware (standard or metric)
Footed or non-footed.

$25 per case + $5 for shipping via usps flat rate small box (cost is like $5.08 or something) $25 is what I have to charge as it's cost plus $10 which is what I like to call the "wife tax." If my hobby isn't in the black she starts to get...upset.

The cases look awesome!! Are you still accepting orders?

Just wanted to add my thanks to Matt among all the others.
I received my red case a few days ago and had the HM installed in minutes.
I could not believe how perfect it fit and how great it looks.
Thanks to all who have contributed!

Matt, your printer must be running 24x7 right now. Thank you!

Also just got my case from Matt, quickly threw in my (mostly) assembled HM in there, and for the most part it fits well. The hole for the button seems a bit off, but I didn't have time to figure out why (and it's not soldered in yet anyway). Will get back shortly. In the end, still very happy with how the case turned out, it's amazing what this community has put together in such a short time. Now I just need to get my smoker ready!

Eric,

You hit the nail on the head. Pretty much all that I print is heater meter cases! Trying to get my second printer up and running so I can get them banged out quicker.

Greg,

let me know about the final fit. If there's a defect or something wrong or even some variation in your build we'll work on it to get the case to fit for you.

Also just got my case from Matt, quickly threw in my (mostly) assembled HM in there, and for the most part it fits well. The hole for the button seems a bit off, but I didn't have time to figure out why (and it's not soldered in yet anyway). Will get back shortly. In the end, still very happy with how the case turned out, it's amazing what this community has put together in such a short time. Now I just need to get my smoker ready!

Eric,
Greg,

let me know about the final fit. If there's a defect or something wrong or even some variation in your build we'll work on it to get the case to fit for you.

Thanks Matt, appreciate it! I'll look at it more closely over the next couple days and get back. Pretty sure it's a solvable problem by just how I mount the switch. The LCD looks centered, all the various ports/jacks line up, and I haven't soldered in the LED's yet...

Back