Hinged Kettle

David P Harrisburg

TVWBB Member
I thought the new kettles had a hinge instead of the bale for holding the lid. Didn`t they also have a plate for indirect cooking? I was just on Weber site and all kettles had bale for holding the lid. I`m confused.

Just read on 'shopping with Dave that its no longer available, and "I am just speculating but I think Weber is using Costco as a point of liquidation to get the last of these poorly designed grills out of its warehouses." Think the hinge was a great idea but caused problems.Seems like a good value.

Personally, I wouldn't want the hinge. Been discussed here before what might happen if open and there's a wind gust. Also a question whether the full open angle is to everyone's liking. I would also think that the fixed lid prevents you from accessing the grill from the hinge side if you wanted to do that. Food for thought.

Agree-Probably the reason they've dumped the design. Still a good value with cover and all, forget the hinge.

I have a hinge from “Unknown BBQ” on my 18 and I like it a LOT!
I looked at the one they are selling through Costco and thought it just felt “cheesy”. Weak and flimsy I’m very happy to have my good old workhorse.

I was just curious. The 70th anniversary kettles are nice but 450 dollars. Ouch I have 3 22s, 18wsm, Jumbo Joe. I think I`ll just use what I have.

I like the convenience of the hinged lid. Needs a bit of tweaking to get the lid to seal properly but other than that I prefer it.
Yes, if it's exposed to a strong wind it acts like a sail but I use mine in a shelter so no problems.

The one thing that I really like about the non-hinged kettle dome and having the wire holder is the ability to act as a deflector against wind, the ability to rotate the dome for vent/thermometer position, and also heard that using a chimney may make the dome rather hot (though one can disconnect the dome if that's a concern). Just not seeing how the benefit outweighs any deficit other than ease of lifting.

Last edited:
Lots of food for thought here...I was always attracted to the idea of the hinged lid, and I still think it could be a plus as long as it works properly. I have to admit, though, that I hadn't thought of some of the issues brought up here. No more kettle money in the budgets, so flimsy or not I don't guess I will be helping Costco unload one!

The lid can be disconnected very easily and rotated.
No problem using the rotisserie either.
I've had no problems with heat on the lid when lighting the chimney, I don't remove the lid. Time will tell if it causes a problem in the long term.

The lid can be disconnected very easily and rotated.
No problem using the rotisserie either.
I've had no problems with heat on the lid when lighting the chimney, I don't remove the lid. Time will tell if it causes a problem in the long term.
I hear ya on the disconnecting the dome, but just seems another step to do something simple like rotating it or moving it out of the way all together, and then the lid can't be lifted via the hinge so it needs to be laid on the ground or placed elsewhere, unless one has the hook inside the lid. Imagine if the chimney is moved more toward the edge away from the lid that will help with any heat issues. There is the immediate cool factor of the hinge no doubt, just not convinced of it's practicality outside of, well....doing what it's there for I guess, ease of lifting the dome.

It's mainly about the ease of lifting the lid.
I find it really convenient compared to my old kettles which only had the hooks. I never seemed to catch the hooks on the first attempt. At times when your hands are full it's a real benefit and less chance of damaging the lid moving it about.
That model was the only kettle model in the UK at the time that have the P shaped bottom vents which really help with fine tuning. It also came with stainless steel GBS grates so as a package it was pretty good.

It's mainly about the ease of lifting the lid.
I find it really convenient compared to my old kettles which only had the hooks. I never seemed to catch the hooks on the first attempt. At times when your hands are full it's a real benefit and less chance of damaging the lid moving it about.
That model was the only kettle model in the UK at the time that have the P shaped bottom vents which really help with fine tuning. It also came with stainless steel GBS grates so as a package it was pretty good.
Can totally relate!

Cooked some wings using a Vortex style fuel dome.
Regularly turn the lid to reposition the lid vent.
Even easier using both hands!

Back