High temp brisket question

Originally posted by Tony C.:
i'm still a rookie when it comes to seperating the flat from the point without hacking it up . i have a hard time figuring out the angle..
Yeah it's tricky. Just remember it's on more of an angle than it looks/you think it is, and over-laps pretty far onto the flat, by like a 1/3rd to 1/2. Not sure if this will help but I tried taking pics while seperating over the summer. It was tricky doing it all with one hand but it was the best I could manage. End of row 2 and row 3 has some seperating pics in this album. Link for you.

Wow.

This is one of the best threads ever! There are a lot of people (myself included) learning this high-heat cook for brisket!

I've had the same problem with separating the flat from the point. A couple of times, the flat simply fell off which made it simple. My neighbor, it turns out, just slices the whole packer . . . he makes no distinction. Turns out that tastes good too.

Thank you to everyone that posted in this thread. I have recently purchased the smaller version of the smokey mountain smoker at an estate sale for $20. Believe it or not the thing looks like new. I believe it is the 18.5 version made by Weber with wooden handles. I have used an old school side box smoker that my father owens and really enjoy this style of BBQ. I have tried the low and slow method and to be honest I feel that I over cooked my brisket. The only thing that saved it was the beer that I added to the tinfoil while I wrapped it after about 4 hours and 225-275* smoking. The last time I tried making brisket I used the old side box smoker because I was doing a pork shoulder and a brisket at the same time at my parents house out of state. I had noticed after about six hours it seemed pretty tender so I pulled it and placed it in a warmer drawer in my folks kitchen on low. I left it there until the pork shoulder was at temp and then sliced and served both at a little gathering of the neighbors. The brisket was good but I felt it was a little dry that night. The next day after soaking in juices from the foil it was better but not the falling apart brisket that you guys seem to make. I am definitely going to try the high heat method that you guys are doing here using my WSM. Thank you so much for the tips and I will post back with the results with pictures! Thanks again. Vince

Four questions for you experts.

1. I am introducing seven engineering students to my smoker tomorrow. Unfortunately, I can only get them started with instructions and then I have to leave town. I am planning on a high heat cook. My first question is doneness. Engineers want strict rules - "When the temp. gets to x, foil it and cook until the (meat) temp reaches y, then let it rest for z time." However to tell them, when it "feels" done, take it off. I think K (K Kruger and others) have said 4 hrs. is when it might be done, but rarely does it take more than 4 1/2 hrs. Can you give me any more hints that I can tell them when it is done? i.e. When you put the temp probe in and it feels like it is going through an uncooked hot dog, then it is done.

2. Foil question. I have tongs and spatulas. Any trick not tearing the foil? And how tight should the foil be on the sides and top?

3. If I line the inside of the pan with foil, add just enough water to let the water evaporate and keep the meat moist until I foil it, any harm with leaving the pan alone? It should just have drippings at this point and no water left.

4. One brisket is 10 1/2 pounds and the other is 14 1/2 lbs, so I was planning on the largest one on top, fat side down for both. Since the top will be hotter, I am hoping they will be finished about the same time. Is this reasonable?

Thank you in advance,
Matt

Gosh Matt may have to figure out and chart degrees of resistance to satisfy those engineers for numbers and facts
icon_wink.gif
Your procedure sounds good. When I've done them it's taken anywhere from 4 - 5 1/2 hours. The most time it takes for me is getting the meat up to temp for foiling. I wrap the brisket up tight. I use two pieces of foil. The bottom foil wraps up around the brisket and the top covers it. I like this because I can take the top foil off and check the meat without putting holes in the bottom foil and losing all that great juice.

I have never had any size packer go longer than, I think 4:10 -- maybe 4:30 but I don't think so. Most come in at 3:55-4:00.

I smoke for around 2.5 hours, give or take 10 min. I don't temp. Others like to foil at 160 or 265.

Adding water won't really 'keep the meat moist'. I use an empty foiled pan. I don't want anything in the way of getting the temps up, though I do Minion the start. In the case of high heat cooks I use double my usual amount of lit -- so around 22 or so for a high heat cook. Once the temps are in the mid-200s I watch for slowing. If slowing occurs a little soon I will prop the door open (dooe flipped upside down so that the knob is on bottom) aboot 1/4-1/2 inch and gauge from there. I like a smoking temp of ~335-340 or so but am not anal about it as long as I hit 325.

I foil like paul, two sheets, but leave maybe an inch or so around the sides of the packer and 1-2 inches headspace above. I do crimp the foil pieces tightly together but, as you see, do not have the foil flush to the meat. I like space for the juices to go -- and packers throw off a lot.

Once I foil I let the temps run to 350-370. I check first usually about 3.75 hours into the cook. From how it feels I can tell how much longer I'll likely need. I am looking for the probe 'entering the meat as if going into butter'. There can be slight resistance from meat fibers but the probe entering should feel effortless between the fibers.

I do not recommend temping the meat after foiling.

As long as the briskets are of fairly equal thickness, when I do two they have always come in within 10 min, tops, of each other. Weight is not a big deal. Thickness is.

Hope this helps.

Great thread guys. I tried my first high-heat brisket the other weekend and it was niiiiiice. I had to prop the door open a few times, but it finished in 4 hours.

Most of the freeloaders that came over weren't real excited when they heard brisket - but they made a quick 180 after the first bite.

Here are some pics if anyone is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/photo....641f89a&id=666731982

http://www.facebook.com/photo....22484c8&id=666731982

and since I'm posting - might as well throw in a pic of some BB's

http://www.facebook.com/photo....dfdb1b9&id=666731982

I did a high heat brisket this last weekend and was blown away by it. Made up some No. 5 sauce to go with it. I've never made a low and slow brisket before and can't see any reason to - this high heat method is the best. The only thing different I would do is get a fat separator for the drippings. My No. 5 sauce was a bit greasy, but still delicious.

Gentlemen...I thank you all as contributors to this thread and ask that you steer me toward my first high temp brisket. I'm doing 5 or 6 flats this weekend for my co-workers and want to be sure I have the sequence down pat. Please correct my steps if necessary.

1. Bring WSM up to 325-350...
2. Briskets on...
3. Foil @ 160 internal...
4. Pull @ 195-200 internal...
5. Rest and slice...

I plan to use Competition K with oak wine barrel chunks for smoke wood.

Rub will be a Sugarless Texas Sprinkle derivative.

Thoughts, tips, and suggestions always welcome!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

1. I Minion, load the meat, then bring up to temp. You can bring to temp first if you wish but I like to maximize smokering potential and allow for more smoke time.

3. I go by time, not temp, but for flats I would go by temp.

4. No. Don't even bother temping after foiling. It is easy to hit those temps (because of the change in dynamics with foil) and not be done. Remove when a probe tells you the meat is tender, i.e., by feel.

5 Yes. I don't rest long, maybe 30 min, tented. If you need to rest longer pull when just shy of tender.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
1. <span class="ev_code_RED">I Minion, load the meat, then bring up to temp.</span> You can bring to temp first if you wish but I like to maximize smokering potential and allow for more smoke time.

3. I go by time, not temp, but for flats I would go by temp.

4. No. Don't even bother temping after foiling. It is easy to hit those temps (because of the change in dynamics with foil) and not be done. Remove when a probe tells you the meat is tender, i.e., by feel.

5 Yes. I don't rest long, maybe 30 min, tented. If you need to rest longer pull when just shy of tender.

Good point on loading the meat while coming up to temp...
icon_smile.gif

Flats average 4-6 lbs each...suggestions on when to probe after foiling? I'm usually a temp guy...but am willing to try probing for feel to better my Q.

Thanks K!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I Minion with twice my usual amount of lit which means ~25 with my typical ambient conditions. I start the clock at the point I load the meat. I foil at ~2.5 hours into the cook. (For you, foil at temp target --if the flats are well-marbled you can go to 165/170.) Note the time you foil.

I bump the temp up to ~350-360, sometimes a bit higher, occasionally a little lower, after foiling. I check about 1.25 hours after foiling (which is 3.75 hours from load time) and gauge from there. Nearly all briskets I do (and I only do packers) come in at 3:55-4:10 total, before restng. Gauge checking the first time based on cooktemps and when you foiled, and don't hesitate to check early if you're not sure. The meat will feel tender when it is tender.

This post and this one describe two cooks, which you might find helpful.

I've read and followed this thread and I have one question...if you foil your brisket how do you check for tender or temp) without puncturing the foil?

I'm curious...has anyone done the high heat brisket flats in disposable aluminum pans to start...and then just cover them with hd foil sheet to finish? I'm more concerned with flavor and tenderness than bark or smoke ring.

Thanks!

JD

Many do that. I prefer less space around the brisket but you can certainly use a pan.

For firmer bark pull when just shy of tender and retyrn to the grate for a bit to dry the bark.

Back