High Heat Whole Chicken on the OTG

I started out with a simple rub or equal parts salt and pepper with a bit of onion and garlic powder added.

I used one full chimney of blue bag k off set from the meat with some hickory k briquets and a piece of pecan wood. Going about 450, cooked for about an hour and ten minutes. I began the cook with the legs facing the fire and had to turn the chicken with about 20 mins to go because the breasts were not cooking.

You definately got 'em cooked! :) They look great. You didn't mention how you liked them.

J

They were good, I put a ton of that rub on them so they were pretty black before they ever hit the fire. I still like lower and slower better, except for the skin the skin was great!

For me, when cooking poultry, there's a fine line between low n slow and high heat. Low n slow renders rubbery skin but great meat while high heat gives the crispy skin but the external beats the internal to the finish temp (cooked skin and surface meat but undercooked in the middle). The happy medium for me is about 325-350*F. It looks like you've pushed that to new limits!

Last edited:
My most luscious chicken comes, after brining, when I cook in my smoker (a Mini-Joe or the 18.5" WSM) at 350 degrees. I splatchcock the bird. When the chicken is done, if you want to eat the skin (some do and some don't) then remove the barrel on the smoker and crisp up the skin over direct. That way, I seem to get the best of both worlds.

By the way, the O.P.'s chicken looks WONDERFUL!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back