High Heat Ribs on the 22.5"wsm.

S.Six

TVWBB All-Star
Really been liking the hot and fast ribs lately, so I decided to give it a try on the wsm.
Here I got the spare ribs ready.

Somebody here once told me that they cook ribs on the wsm without the water pan. So that is how I did these ribs. No water pan and vents wide open. I was shooting for 325°-350°. It took a little while to get there, but after an hour, here we are.

I flipped the ribs and checked back in 40mins.

They passed the bend test, almost pointing straight down. Prob tender, and I.T. was 190-200°+

These ribs were fantastic! Tasted a little different than the rotisserie ribs I did last week. The fat dripping down onto the coals and kickin back up onto the ribs gave it a delicious fatty flavor. Super juicy, tender, and delicious! What more can you ask for? Oh yeah! Done in an hour and 40mins too!
Give it a try! Thanks for looking! See ya next cook.

Great ribs. I also like to do them at higher heat - anywhere from 275-325.

Very nice, my last three rib cooks were done high heat around 325-350 but left the sand filled pan in. Works great

I agree. high heat ribs come out fine. I did some on the OTG last week and they were excellent.

Great looking ribs! Going to give it a try, after doing chicken on my wsm hi heat and it was the best chicken I've ever made, why not ribs. Some times I want ribs but don't want to be tied down for hours.

I did these at 350 for two hours on my performer... Hot n fast is what I like...
adc04d82f6f0489f4a97c4fb8dcf9a71.jpg

af91f2837d4131bce9fc825ff8f23592.jpg

When time allows, I like the low and slow method. That said, time very rarely allows! I've done the high heat method several times and the have turned out great! I especially like to go high heat when tailgating. My friends are amazed when you pull out several racks of (great tasting) ribs in just a cpl hours! In fact, ribs have been requested for the next home game!
Tim

When time allows, I like the low and slow method. That said, time very rarely allows! I've done the high heat method several times and the have turned out great! I especially like to go high heat when tailgating. My friends are amazed when you pull out several racks of (great tasting) ribs in just a cpl hours! In fact, ribs have been requested for the next home game!
Tim

Hi Tim:

I'm with you! I almost always cook my ribs this way on my Weber Gold. A full chimney of coals on one side and two racks on the other. A big chunk of hickory on the grate over the coals and vents wide open. I flip and reposition the racks every 15 minutes for an hour then I sauce each side in two more 15 minute stints. Perfect ribs every time in 1 1/2 hours!

I have done ribs several times in my electric smoker but I actually prefer the high heat method.

BTW, How did the tailgating go last weekend???

Cam

Back