Hi from the Great White North

colin.p

TVWBB Member
Hello all (this may take awhile):)

I bought a new Weber Spirit E310 last June and really like having a fairly decent grill. The first grill I bought was back in the early 80's and it was a smallish Kenmore. I got 13 years out of it before the central post rusted out (I didn't really fuss too much about keeping it covered or cleaned for that matter) and had to replace the H burner once. Since then I have had two other grills, but they were pretty cheap in price and quality, and didn't last more than a half dozen years each. So last year I took the "plunge" and bought a Weber. I must admit, even though the Spirit is Weber's most "ahem" affordable line, it's still miles above what I had been using, with the exception of my old Kenmore that was built like a tank. The one thing that takes getting used to is the layout of the burners that go east to west, as opposed to a north/south orientation. Of course, the new ones for this year changed the burners to n/s, but I will use what I have.

I am a meat-cutter by trade, and have been one since '74. I have worked for most of the major supermarkets in Ontario, but what was once a respectable trade 30 years ago, is now pretty well around the same level as ditch digging, and I'm quite sure ditch diggers get paid better than we do. However, in 2001, I got pretty fed up with it and went off into the high-tech industry for 4 years, until the bottom fell out and then I went back (like a bad cold that won't go away) to meat-cutting. As you can tell, I'm pretty jaded about the job, but it would take several pages to explain and I don't have that kind of patience, so I'll leave it right there. However, even though I know my meat, I am a lousy cook (even the dog turns her nose up), so any cooking suggestions I may make, take with a grain of salt, or at the very least verification from someone who actually knows how to cook.

As far as interests goes, I have been a reader (rarely a poster) on BBS's and usenet since '94. I have a small network in my home running windows (various flavours) as well as ubuntu linux, which is my primary OS. I am not a fan of Microsoft (just the company, the OS is reasonably useful) and the only Apple product I will have in the house, is what one puts into pies.

My reading interests goes from science to wood cutting/heating to cars/motorcycles, computing, home theater, and now to BBQing/grilling. As I said above, I don't post much, but can answer most meat questions and will help someone out if I can. I view grilling like riding motorcycles, I only do it in nice WARM sunny weather, and wouldn't use my grill in the winter unless the power went out. I am thinking of getting into actual BBQing (slow cooking) and may just have to break down and buy a smoker at some point. Brisket, blade and pork butts do sound tempting.

Well that's all I can think about at the moment and won't take up anymore of your time.

Have a nice day
Colin

Oh yah, my style of posting may seem a little course or even somewhat bitter, but I am a fan of British humour and may come of a bit sarcastic. But I will try to add the required smilies to identify that. Nothing I say should be taken seriously and certainly not personally.;)

Welcome Colin, great introduction, if you dont have one already I suggest you get a decent thermometer, thats the first step, and just keep posting questions, this site is loaded with friendly helpful people.

Thanks lads. I will probably spend quite awhile perusing all the very informative threads. BTW, I am actually south of Ottawa, Mountain actually, but no one on earth has ever heard of Mountain Ontario.;)

Hi Colin, and welcome! Nice thorough post, and thanks for the heads up about your humor...:D... we can all be like that on occasion!

You'll find this a fun and helpful place to hang out!

Welcome to the forum , Colin . Good to have a meat cutter on board. There are always questions about cuts of meat and whatnot , so as you improve your cooking skills we'll be picking your brain about butchery! Good luck , brother. :wsm:

Welcome from Norway. Like most members, you live a few kilometres south of me, about 1500 of them.
It's OK to grill at wintertime, as well!

Hey Colin nice to have you on board. So where does all the good brisket go in Ontario? There never seems to be any choice or grades available other than "yes" or "no". I never paid much attention to it before joining this site but since I like to cook them just wondering.

Hey Colin nice to have you on board. So where does all the good brisket go in Ontario? There never seems to be any choice or grades available other than "yes" or "no". I never paid much attention to it before joining this site but since I like to cook them just wondering.

Brisket is something the average shopper hasn't heard of and would have absolutely no idea as to what to do with the derned thing. They would put it in the oven and cook the beejeepers out of it, then wonder why they can't chew it. Not to mention it is rather expensive (but then again all food is getting that way). It's the same with bone in shortribs. Most stores don't carry them and then when they do, they cut them wrong. I bet I could go into every supermarket in Ottawa and couldn't find one brisket (unless they are advertized in the store flyer), and again, they would usually roll it as a pot roast instead of leaving the stupid thing flat. However, I think that more and more people (isn't the internet wonderful, kind of makes you wonder what people did with their time 15 years ago) find informative sites like this one and start to look outside the usual t-bone steak/hamburgers/hot-dogs, will start to look for different things to cook, brisket being one of them.

At the store I am currently at, for the longest time we couldn't give away pork butts, but it's only been in the past couple of years that they started to sell. I keep telling the guy that runs the place that he should start to cater to backyard grillers/BBQers and put in the counter large cuts so people could start to cook those parts that don't traditionally sell. But I guess, nothing quite beats a nice frozen dinner cooked in the microwave ;)

Last edited:
"But I guess, nothing quite beats a nice frozen dinner cooked in the microwave"

Or some Kraft Mac 'n Cheese, eh.;)

Welcome aboard Colin!

Thanks Colin, so what are they doing with them espcially the points? Grinding them up for burger?

Back