Here we go again! 3rd times a charm.

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Brisket!!Here we go again! 3rd times a charm.

So I've managed to destroy my first 2 Briskets. One was a select flat from Smart and Final, the other a choice flat from my butcher that cost me $50.

Both times I committed HORRIBLE mistakes! I did overnight smokes and drank a bit too much due to the excitement of the cook. I over seasoned the hell out of them and let the smoker go cold by being stupid with the vents..

I had decided to wait til next summer but the BBQ god's had other plans. I went to Costco today to grab some tri-tip and for the first time they had a whole prime brisket for only $27. Here we go again.

I'm going to do this smoke during the day and am deciding on using a little salt and pepper or a light dusting of some Black Ops rub.

Wish me luck!!

Last edited:
Good luck! My first few briskets also came out poorly, but I eventually got the hang of it. Enjoy the smoke!

Good luck I hope you do well. I have a full packer in the freezer which will be my first one ever, although I did do a flat and it came out great. So I'll be watching this.

Ok so I'm going to attempt an overnight cook again. I just don't have enough time in the day to have it ready for dinner.
I picked up 2 Primes from Costco and this one is the worse of the 2, lots of fat and it really tapers to about 1/2" on one side. The other one is a specimen of brisket beauty but I need more practice before I try that one.
What should I do about the thin side, I am thinking about folding it on itself to match the thickness of the other side. Has anyone done this?
I hear bacon might help keep that side moist and I may try that.
I'm also pretty sure I'll just chop the first section up and start slicing once it thickens out.

I'm also curious about seasoning, I think I've really over seasoned my first 2 attempts, I'm torn between a light dusting of black ops brisket rub and just plain old salt and pepper.

My goal is to pay attention set lots of alarms and get this thing to 165 and wrap it in butcher paper.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Bruno, you may be over thinking it. You have a full packer, put a nice coat of seasoning on it, your salt/peper and black ops should do fine. For the thin side of the brisket, i would say dont trim as much of the fatcap off of that part and it should keep it moist enough. If you tend the smoker and keep a decent temp variance you should be fine.

Just keep it simple.. Seasoning, fire, and time.

Good luck brother.
rb

Trimmed the brisket, and put on the rub, I took the time to learn to set alarms on the maverick so I think my biggest problem is gone.

I'll be firing up the WSM 22 at 9 PM. I'll add some pics when I get to the computer.

Pulled it at 202, smells amazing and the probe just slides in. Very excited!

Letting it rest and into the cooler for a couple hours.

Glad I tried again, avoided the big mistakes and it looks great.

Pics to follow. Thanks everyone.

Bruno, the brisket looks great! But the suspense is killing me as I have been following this thread! I look forward to smoking my first brisket in the future. How did taste?

Last edited:
It was really good, flat was a little dry but the point is amazing, good smoke, seasoning was perfect.
My 22 WSM is a little temperamental on temp though so it was a lot of work for an over night cook.
It was a goal to do a good brisket though and I'm happy I did.

Nice cooking there, Bruno!

Gotta' keep after it, and just learn to be creative with your mistakes.
It took me a few tries on Brisket as well - they just seem to be a bit more tricky / temperamental than pulled pork and ribs for some reason.

Looks great Bruno!

Question to all: I've only done a few briskets and generally can only get nice slices like that with the flat, not the point. What is the trick to getting slices like that with the point? Or is it pretty standard to just chop that part?

Back