Help with ABT's!

Tim Mulvihill

TVWBB Fan
I was going to smoke some pork chops & ABT's at the same time this weekend on the WSM.

I've seen that a lot of people do ABT's on the kettle (which I don't have) so what temp do I need on the WSM to get the bacon crispy? Not a fan of non-crispy bacon.

Thanks!

After the chops are done and the ABT's have smoked for awhile, remove the water pan and put the ABT's on the bottom rack to crisp up the bacon.

Tim

I generally do the ABTs on the grill rather than the WSM but have had good results with them on the smoker. I avoid thick cut bacon because it takes too long to get crisp. Allow a little longer time due to the lower temps, 30 min or more.

Mike

Tim for what it's worth considering the good advice above I use thin slices of bacon cut in half. Then I stretch the 1/2 slice around the ABT. I do mine cut in half as compared to whole. I have been doing them in the oven at 275 for about 45 minutes to an hour. I mix cream cheese with processed cheese so it does not run. The temps work great for the bacon so they should work for you in the smoker. If they get too hot they will run. I like Don's idea about using the hot zone.

You don't need HH to get good ABT's, and I probably lose more cheese at high temps. I've cooked them at any and all temps on the smoker and grill, and it' all good if you buy cheap thin bacon and do just one wrap. I'd think that if the bacon got truly crisp it might too easily break off, but the only complaint I've ever had was when I left too much of the insides in on a batch of truly hellacious ones. You need to remove the white part as well as the seeds unless your guests are all chile heads.

I usually do mine on the top rack of my WSM for about an hour or so at 275. Clay saucer, no water pan. Here's a picture of the finished product:

IMG_0950.jpg

I use a 1/2-piece of the thinnest bacon I can find (usually Oscar Mayer). No pre-cooking the bacon or anything. Good luck.

I have never done my ABT's HH or on a kettle. I find I get plenty of crisp on the edge of my top grate, with no water as well. Good eating!

I am a "boat" type ABT stylist!

Use uniform sized Jalapenos sliced length wise. One slice is the "boat", seeds & veins removed and fillings, usually a 4 cheese shred mixed with room temp cream cheese. These were stuffed with Pepper Jack slivers, cream cheese and Mexican shred.
100_2170.jpg

100_2169.jpg

100_2174.jpg

100_2175.jpg

The "boat" takes the bulk of the filling and I lather the thin sliced "lid" with cream cheese and they adhere together.

Using cheap, thin sliced Bacon, they are wrapped and held together with toothpicks. I prefer thin sliced bacon with more fat because I feel the bacon cooks into the turd. But hey, thats just me, If ya got some Nueskes Apple Smoked Bacon- go for it!

100_2178.jpg

Coat with your favorite rub (I prefer Smoky Okie's Okie Dust) and cook at 275* , spritzing with Apple Juice until the bacon is to your liking and serve.

IMG_5569_zps0f895559.jpg

IMG_5576_zps4f10fb11.jpg

The pics Michael posted were from the 2010 Skewered Apple BBQ Championship side category "Anything on a Skewer" that myself and JD turned in cooked on a Cajun Bandit/Rib-O-Lator setup and took 1st Place out of 80 incredible teams. (2nd Place Brisket too!)

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

The pics Michael posted were from the 2010 Skewered Apple BBQ Championship side category "Anything on a Skewer" that myself and JD turned in cooked on a Cajun Bandit/Rib-O-Lator setup and took 1st Place out of 80 incredible teams. (2nd Place Brisket too!)

You lie! Quit stealing my stuff! :p

Just kidding folks, all the credit belongs to Brian.

Back