Help....My Bark was too hard on my overnight cook

John_H

TVWBB Member
I did an overnight cook last night. I did 4 butts on the 18.5". The two buts on the bottom shelf had bark that was too hard. It was difficult to eat and I certainly wouldn't serve that part. I hated it because I wasted so much of my favorite part. Did I cook it too long? My temp gauge was never above 225 (I use the on board temp gauage). I was wondering if its cold outside if the on board temp gauge is affected? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I did an overnight cook last night. I did 4 butts on the 18.5". The two buts on the bottom shelf had bark that was too hard. It was difficult to eat and I certainly wouldn't serve that part. I hated it because I wasted so much of my favorite part. Did I cook it too long? My temp gauge was never above 225 (I use the on board temp gauage). I was wondering if its cold outside if the on board temp gauge is affected? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

The temp gauge can be way off. Most use a thermometer at grate level. I have no idea out the outside temp could affect that gauge. Have you don't these types of cooks before. Maybe you just don't like hard bark? You're 2 choices then are spritzing or wrapping.

Thanks Dustin. Yeah, this bark was "chip a tooth hard" I typically spritz but didn't because I didn't want to be up all night. Next time I may just wrap 1/2 way through. I don't do many night cooks so maybe next time I'll just do the wrap.

I have never experienced bark so hard it could chip a tooth.... When did you pull the butts off the cooker did you judge by internal temp or what?

Did you have water in the pan? Hard to imagine lower rack butts drying out with water in the pan. Also, 225 on the lid therm might actually be 275 or more on the lower rack when it's cold out and there's even a little breeze. I have never had hard bark problems during overnight butt cooks with water.

I have had this happen with a brisket and a pork butt; even on the top rack. Salt and pepper for the brisket, some sugar in the butt rub. Fat side down, the fat is way past rendered and is the consistency of shoe leather. I use the minion method and light with about 20 briquettes. Also use the DigiQ and SilverBullet smoking jacket. WSM is in a sheltered area away from the wind. Smoke at 250 degrees. No water in pan with the DigiQ. Does not happen all the time, just every now and then. I put them on cold, sometimes wonder if the temp of the meat and the proximity of the probe to the meat effects what temp the DigiQ is reading, maybe it is running hotter than the probe is reading.

Our Costco just started carrying Prime brisket for $2.79lb, so for New Year's thinking about ringing it in with a brisket! Will let you know how it comes out.

Our Costco just started carrying Prime brisket for $2.79lb, so for New Year's thinking about ringing it in with a brisket! Will let you know how it comes out.

Warning: Once you go Prime you'll never go back. That's a great price, too. A nicely marbled Prime brisket is far less fussy than lesser grades. Just try to find one that's nice and flexible.

I don't think it matters if his cooker temp was spot on of off by 30 degrees providing he pulled the butts when they became tender. I too would like to know the internal temp when you pulled. You could have wrapped the butt once pulled and rest for a couple of hours-that will soften the bark.

You could have wrapped the butt once pulled and rest for a couple of hours-that will soften the bark.

On pork, I use a rub that's heavy on sugar, so the bark often gets a candy-like consistency that, if allowed to cool that way, would be pretty dang hard to bite through. I always wrap tightly in at least 2 layers of foil and then an old beach towel inside a cooler for a couple of hours. That gives enough time for the bark to soften up a bit.

Also, in regard to the ATC probe mis-reading the temp, I have seen that happen. I've taken to clipping my PartyQ probe to the meat probe of my Maverick as far as possible from the meat itself to prevent false readings.

Warning: Once you go Prime you'll never go back. That's a great price, too. A nicely marbled Prime brisket is far less fussy than lesser grades. Just try to find one that's nice and flexible.

I found three! They look great, nice marbling, can't wait to smoke and make some burnt ends out of the point (mother-in-law's favorite). Grilled up two prime New York Strip steaks that were about 2 inches thick and they came out restaurant worthy!

At $2.79lb have been thinking about buying a couple to make Corned Beef/Pastrami and grind a couple up to make my smash burgers.

Last edited:
At $2.79lb have been thinking about buying a couple to make Corned Beef/Pastrami and grind a couple up to make my smash burgers.

That is an awesome price and I don't blame you for buying extras. Best I can find here is around $3.50. They do make great burgers. I save my spare rib cutoffs and mix in about 20% with 80% brisket -- adds a little sweet-meat taste to the rich brisket.

Back