Help me pick which burner tubes

Find yourself a middle burner that has holes/slots on both sides..... now THATS a challenge.
My neighbor has the OEM one...... still.
I think I may have one of those in my big box of grill junk. I believe the original burner tubes that came with my 1998 Genesis lasted about 7 or 8 years. The porcelain coated flavorizer bars less than that.

I asked if spending the extra money was going to get me any better burner tubes and every one said no.
Not everyone. I said the well reviewed (on here) tubes I bought for my dad's Genesis were corrosion fiends. Holes constantly clogged up with corrosion. Not one lick of corrosion on his original tubes.

Not everyone. I said the well reviewed (on here) tubes I bought for my dad's Genesis were corrosion fiends. Holes constantly clogged up with corrosion. Not one lick of corrosion on his original tubes.
I think that not all imported non-OEM burner tubes are the same. I bought a set for a front control Genesis 300 that were cut backwards! Then I got a set from Qlimetal that fit perfectly and were non-magnetic stainless.

Forgot the brand I bought, but all the folks on here who buy many of them from Amazon recommended the ones I bought. Yet they kept corroding over the burner ports with a white weird corrosion. Constantly needing to wire brushed or they did not burn correctly. Yet the OEM Weber ones having never been wire brushed still had no corrosion like this. Only reason I replaced the set was because the XOver tube broke on dad's and buying a set was the only way to assure having a matched set that would work together.
Yes they were cheap, and they did "look" good. But, $$$ for donuts did not work the same

I've been fighting that same 'white corrosion' on my OEM tubes --- I was cleaning the crossover of it and there was quite a bit on the main burners too --- always has been a problem necessitating periodic cleaning with a brass brush. I don't think its the burners fault...

Along those lines --- I picked up some SS flavor bars back ~7 years ago (a whole new discussion on bars..) and I had noticed them getting coated with a white and yellowish residue underneath mainly, but some on the topside too..... I read complaints about it happening to others in the amazon reviews and they somehow equated that with the 'quality of the metal'..... I just wrote it off to the sulfur 'smell compounds' that they add to propane for leak detection interacting with the fresh metal surface forming 'metal sulfides'. You wouldn't see that/those reaction happening on a porcelain coated bar. I'm thinking that the white powdery 'corrosion' on the burners is from the same process - only with more heat.

I've been fighting that same 'white corrosion' on my OEM tubes --- I was cleaning the crossover of it and there was quite a bit on the main burners too --- always has been a problem necessitating periodic cleaning with a brass brush. I don't think its the burners fault...

Along those lines --- I picked up some SS flavor bars back ~7 years ago (a whole new discussion on bars..) and I had noticed them getting coated with a white and yellowish residue underneath mainly, but some on the topside too..... I read complaints about it happening to others in the amazon reviews and they somehow equated that with the 'quality of the metal'..... I just wrote it off to the sulfur 'smell compounds' that they add to propane for leak detection interacting with the fresh metal surface forming 'metal sulfides'. You wouldn't see that/those reaction happening on a porcelain coated bar. I'm thinking that the white powdery 'corrosion' on the burners is from the same process - only with more heat.
Then explain why the original burners on my dad's grill (always ran on LP) for 25 years had no corrosion. Yet as soon as I installed the aftermarket ones it started showing up

Sorry dude..... don't have an explanation for you..... nor am I required to have one.
All I'm saying is I have the same problem with white crud on my OEM burners just like you did on the aftermarket ones that you are bashing....

But if I were to speculate...... it could have to do with the age of the old tubes already having the surface reacted and no more reactivity..... or a change in propane mercaptan loading or mixing...... or maybe the older SS burners were passivated or pickled (added manufacturing expense) so that they were less reactive whereas the cheaper aftermarkets are not. Just wild *** guesses.

Then explain why the original burners on my dad's grill (always ran on LP) for 25 years had no corrosion. Yet as soon as I installed the aftermarket ones it started showing up
Don't you think the quality of steel might have changed just a tad with all the knockoff burners out in the big internet world for sale and being made from steel over seas ?

I'll throw in too that I'm pretty certain that the manufacturing process has changed in the last 20-25 years --- I would bet the older ones were probably punched or formed in some way (old school) while I'd bet that the newer ones are probably laser cut --- leading to different residual stresses and heat affected zones/chemistries.

Now you've got me thinking 'just how DO they make the slots in burner tubes'..... what would be the cheapest way?
It is pretty impressive that the 'slits' are so well formed and uniform in the burners on the older ones..... you pretty much expect it nowadays.

Last edited:

Jim, that happens on my RCPlanebuyer flavorizer bars. But, who cares. It doesn't hurt anything.

Yeah - I know..... I just remember seeing lots of complaints with (uneducated/ignorant) concerns about it in the reviews when I bought mine..... my first set of SS bars.

Don't you think the quality of steel might have changed just a tad with all the knockoff burners out in the big internet world for sale and being made from steel over seas ?

I think this is it. That 1996 1000 i picked up had the original tubes and they are still in great condition. But I bet the Weber tubes I juat bought, even though they are new old stock, prob wont last as long as the originals because they make everything with less quality year after year.

I have bought and replaced the knockoff tubes myself as well and those seemed like they didnt last as long either.

Who knows, Weber or not they prob dont make them like they used to...

Wow....WOw....WOW!!!!!!
I just got the new burner tubes and I am AMAZED at what I got...... These tubes are TOTALLY different than what the pics portrayed on amazon --- they are SO MUCH BETTER!!!! I'm really impressed with the quality of these tubes!!!!
I will take pics tomorrow in the sunlight to show the difference between what I got and what I thought I ordered --- hopefully the quality of these tubes will come thru. I'm sitting here giggling at what a steal these burner tubes were for $8.50..... I got really lucky!

Wow....WOw....WOW!!!!!!
I just got the new burner tubes and I am AMAZED at what I got...... These tubes are TOTALLY different than what the pics portrayed on amazon --- they are SO MUCH BETTER!!!! I'm really impressed with the quality of these tubes!!!!
I will take pics tomorrow in the sunlight to show the difference between what I got and what I thought I ordered --- hopefully the quality of these tubes will come thru. I'm sitting here giggling at what a steal these burner tubes were for $8.50..... I got really lucky!
And what about a link?

Its in the first post...... the wild card option.
Go look at their store --- thats where the 9mm SS rod grates are - see what you can find that you need.
If those grates exceed my expectations as much as the burner did ---- that is ONE HELLAVA deal! My expectations were so low....

Last edited:
Its in the first post...... the wild card option.
Go look at their store --- thats where the 9mm SS rod grates are - see what you can find that you need.
If those grates exceed my expectations as much as the burner did ---- that is ONE HELLAVA deal! My expectations were so low....
I couldn't pass up that deal for the 9mm grates. My Platinum project thanks you!

Back