Help me pick which burner tubes

OK guys. I got my set of 9mm grates that were on sale. They are what looks like 9mm to me. They are heavy and while they do have a very slight draw to a magnet, I will say the 304 claim is probably true.
Just to be brief, I will say they are part way between RCPlanebuyer grates and 7mm grates, but closer to RCPlanebuyer.
RCP: 10, 7mm: 5 and these grates are probably a solid 8.

Here are some photos with 7mm, barbqtime 9mm and RCP grates side by side. Sorry for the dirty RCP grates, but I wasn't going to clean them for this comparison.

I am glad I sprung for 5 sets.

1717774057433.png

Nice!!! I was kinda bumming out last night that no one had received them yet..... but tried to be patient.
I'm glad you're happy with them! How does the quality of the welds look?
It looks like the spacing is on par with RCP's, but still a bit wider than the Q's.... I've always thought that I'd like the tighter spacing over a heavier rod myself --- mainly driven by the hi price differential --- but at the same cost I'd go with the bigger rods. Doesn't really matter much to me since I'm happy with my cast irons and will spend my money elsewhere.

OK guys. I got my set of 9mm grates that were on sale. They are what looks like 9mm to me. They are heavy and while they do have a very slight draw to a magnet, I will say the 304 claim is probably true.
Just to be brief, I will say they are part way between RCPlanebuyer grates and 7mm grates, but closer to RCPlanebuyer.
RCP: 10, 7mm: 5 and these grates are probably a solid 8.

Here are some photos with 7mm, barbqtime 9mm and RCP grates side by side. Sorry for the dirty RCP grates, but I wasn't going to clean them for this comparison.

I am glad I sprung for 5 sets.

A magnet should not even hint to being attracted to 304.

Spacing to my eye is about 1/3 larger than RC's (or Weber's original 3/8"). Not horrible especially at the value. But certainly not the same as

I don't know why the myth that '304 SS will not attract a magnet' still gets spread...... It usually doesn't when its fully annealed and in its softest state --- but once you cold work it and get it into a harder state (it doesn't heat harden) it does become magnetic to some degree. So a slight attraction should be expected for a 'hard' form.

I'm now confused, my magnet does not even hint to being attracted to any RCPlanebuyers stainless or my stainless burners tubes.
How come ?

Last edited:
On my RCP grates and my Weber ss grates I do see VERY VERY slight magnetism certainly NOT enough to be called "magnetic"

I don't know why the myth that '304 SS will not attract a magnet' still gets spread...... It usually doesn't when its fully annealed and in its softest state --- but once you cold work it and get it into a harder state (it doesn't heat harden) it does become magnetic to some degree. So a slight attraction should be expected for a 'hard' form.

DING DING DING I'm glad someone knows this. I always forget.

We must have different magnets then.
IDK, just could be the makeup of the steel on my grates. And I have 3 of his grates on my Wolf. And it varies on each one. I think maybe it has something to do with slight changes in the metal from cutting and welding. IDK. Not a metallurgist but I don't think I have ever seen every piece 304SS be the same. Never what you would classify as "magnetic" but there is a teensy amount sometimes.

Larry, I have read articles on the internet from outfits that deal with metals and have read that 304 is generally considered non-magnetic but not always 100%. I think some times people just want that one easy SURE FIRE way to test it.

Larry, I have read articles on the internet from outfits that deal with metals and have read that 304 is generally considered non-magnetic but not always 100%. I think some times people just want that one easy SURE FIRE way to test it.
Yeah, for all intent and purposes it is non magnetic. But not 100%. After all if 304/316 was totally non magnetic then it would not work on things like an induction stove. But it does. So if it was totally 100% it would not work. So it does contain ferrous content. Again, full disclosure I am not a metallurgist I only play one on TV

After two weeks I finally decided to clean up the old OEM burner tubes..... I took a wire brush to them and they cleaned up pretty nice --- most certainly still usable. Into the 'spare parts' pile they go until needed sometime in the future..... maybe.

I will say too --- they were 'dirty' when I took them out --- left them sitting on the side of the house for the last two weeks exposed to some rain..... when I cleaned them yesterday, I was surprised to see more/alot (than when I took them off) of white residue around the burner slits....?....? Its almost as tho it 'grew' being exposed to water.....

Back