Help Identify a Redhead w/Wood Shelves but No Casters

Dennis W

I would post pictures but I got excited an dissembled it. This redhead has three burners, wood shelves to the left, right and on the bottom. It also has a tilt up shelf on the right. But oddly it does not have the "slider bar" with the plastic guide to lock it in place. It just has a black rod attached to the back of the hinged shelf. The loose end of the black rod stabs into a hole on the back leg or the front leg. Also, the hinge is pin is held up by a metal flange instead of the plastic one I have on my other grill. This grill did not come with casters.

It looks like this (but without the side burner).

Genesis_1989_2 copy(2).jpg

What model is this? I am trying to find the schematic on www.weber.com. I need to buy an igniter and maybe burners unless I can find some in my spare parts pile.

I want to add casters. I looked into the right side legs. The inside of the square tubing seems to be reinforced. Do I just cut the two left legs down to size?

IMG_2164.jpg

Here is the hinge hanger. Not sure if that is stock or not.

IMG_2163.jpg

Many thanks.

Hi Dennis,

Pretty sure you've got a Genesis 2. I own the same grill, except I made the mistake years ago of removing and discarding the swing-up left shelf...before I knew any better. No casters on the original Genesis Jr, 1, 2, or 3; they were on Genesis 4 and 5.

Genesis 4 had pinstripes running left to right behind the Weber badge toward the bottom of the lid. It had two swing-up shelfs, one on each side. You said yours was on the right, but I think you meant left, unless someone moved it to the right side. Wood surfaces were stained gray and came with two matching porcelain serving trays. Finally, Genesis 4 sold in the US has an additional button on the control panel for a feature called "Flame Check".

If you're missing the pinstripes and the Flame Check button, you're definitely looking at Genesis 2.

IMG_9287.JPG

Hi Chris,

That's the one! Do you know which igniter kit will work for this The hole firebox looks a little different. There is the whole for the electrode/porcelain then a threaded hole for a screw (which is sheared off). I was going to buy this:

Weber 7509 Igniter

Dennis: That grill didn't come with left side caster wheels originally. If your grill has them, they were added later. Also, for the grill to be level, it would have to have a couple inches cut off the left side legs to accommodate the height of the wheels.

You can buy a pair of the wheels for the same price as the single weber brand one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HYY0L8/?tag=TVWB-20

Hi Dennis,

Pretty sure you've got a Genesis 2. I own the same grill, except I made the mistake years ago of removing and discarding the swing-up left shelf...before I knew any better.

Genesis 4 had pinstripes running left to right behind the Weber badge toward the bottom of the lid. It had two swing-up shelfs, one on each side. You said yours was on the right, but I think you meant left, unless someone moved it to the right side. Wood surfaces were stained gray and came with two matching porcelain serving trays. Finally, Genesis 4 sold in the US has an additional button on the control panel for a feature called "Flame Check".

If you're missing the pinstripes and the Flame Check button, you're definitely looking at Genesis 2.

View attachment 10365
Chris , do you know what year your grill is. I have a chocolate lid 2 with the wide slats The serial # is 10XXX so it' s a fairly early one. Just wondering when they went to the narrow slats.

Dennis,
I added wheel to my Weber Spirit 700 years ago as it also had none originally.

I cut 3/4" off the bottom of each lower frame piece and it sat perfectly level.

Jeff

Hi Chris,

That's the one! Do you know which igniter kit will work for this The hole firebox looks a little different. There is the whole for the electrode/porcelain then a threaded hole for a screw (which is sheared off). I was going to buy this:

Weber 7509 Igniter
I believe that's the one.

Chris , do you know what year your grill is. I have a chocolate lid 2 with the wide slats The serial # is 10XXX so it' s a fairly early one. Just wondering when they went to the narrow slats.
I bought mine in 1992. Serial number is high, 139xxx. Model is 430000. Don't know exactly when they switched to narrow slats.

The casters + insert assembled height is 2.438" (2-7/16"). Here is a pic:

20200727_154903.jpg

It's up to you to double check whatever you end with up and make sure it is the same as yours. Measure twice, cut once.

The end frame is about 1/4" to 5/16" higher on the G3 vs the G1200 for whatever reason. This pic is just reference so I didn't bother measuring it.

20200727_154636.jpg

And here is my setup:

20200727_154507.jpg

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I had already ordered the casters for mine (I already had the inserts) and I needed to do this anyway. I have a 4x6 saw, but if I were going to do it by hand I would wrap a piece of masking tape all the way around and layout my cuts on all 4 sides, keeping it square.

EDIT2: The G3 end frame of mine has the OEM plastic end caps installed, so the cut distance would be inclusive of the end cap. After cutting and installing the casters, I will re-check to see if the height is the same.

CutHere.png

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

Thank you so much. I will double check the measurements for my specific grill, but it sounds like if I saw off 2-7/16" on the two legs and use the standard locking Weber casters - the frame will be level when using the 6" Weber wheels.

weber wheel.png

I cut mine off today and installed the casters...I just wanted to add that, if you are an owner of the early grills without casters, you should drill those plugs on the ends of the fixed legs. Water collects in the bottom of the fixed legs without drainage and will cause the legs to rust out. The Weber caster inserts have drain holes in them.

Attachments

• Rusty Legs.png
    Rusty Legs.png
    978.7 KB · Views: 8
I guess the engineers decided to put watertight plugs in them so water cannot get in..... Dohhh! They didn't think that if it did, it couldn't get back out.

I would post pictures but I got excited an dissembled it. This redhead has three burners, wood shelves to the left, right and on the bottom. It also has a tilt up shelf on the right. But oddly it does not have the "slider bar" with the plastic guide to lock it in place. It just has a black rod attached to the back of the hinged shelf. The loose end of the black rod stabs into a hole on the back leg or the front leg. Also, the hinge is pin is held up by a metal flange instead of the plastic one I have on my other grill. This grill did not come with casters.

It looks like this (but without the side burner).

View attachment 10354

What model is this? I am trying to find the schematic on www.weber.com. I need to buy an igniter and maybe burners unless I can find some in my spare parts pile.

I want to add casters. I looked into the right side legs. The inside of the square tubing seems to be reinforced. Do I just cut the two left legs down to size?

View attachment 10357

Here is the hinge hanger. Not sure if that is stock or not.

View attachment 10360

Many thanks.
how many flavor bars does it use? 5 or 13?

Back