Help.....Briskket done WAY early

Rich_S

TVWBB Member
I put a 12.5 lb brisket on the WSM last night around 10PM. Just checked (10AM) and the thickest part was around 195 internal, the thinnest part was a little over 200. I've had back luck with briskets getting mushy if left on too long, so I just pulled it off, double foiled it, and stuck it in the cooler.

The problem is that our party doesn't start until 3PM (another 5 hours). Is this going to keep? Is there something else I should be doing? Thanks.

I've read on other posts before about also wrapping a towel around the foiled meat when you put it in the cooler. It's supposed to keep longer that way...3 hours is what I recall being mentioned. I will say though that I have never done it so I can't speak for how well it works.

Jason

Rich was it tender when you pulled it? If so great, but the 140 mentioned is the temp you want it to cool to before wrapping and putting in the cooler and blankets.
Otherwise it will keep cooking.
If it was tender you will be fine and it will stay hot for many hours wrapped and cooler kept. .

Don't forget to probe it to see if it's done. Temp is less important than tenderness.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I respectfully disagree with Bill. 40* to 140* is what is considered the danger zone. (Actually it's 41 to 135 but 40 to 140 is easier to remember) You want to go from 40 to 140 in less than 4 hours. If serving, you'll want it to stay above 140* to be considered safe and warm. 150* is better IMHO but that's just me. You can keep it warm several ways: a cambro (cooler can be used), warm oven, chafing dish, sous vide, etc.

Last edited:
It was definitely tender when I took it off, I almost ripped it in half with my gloved hands when I removed it. I let it rest for about 10 minutes before foiling and sticking in the cooler. I'll let everyone know how it came out later and post some pics if I remember.

I thought the guys here have said a few times to not put meat in the cooler wrapped above 140-150 as it will still keep cooking. Am I reading them wrong on that Dwain

I've held one for almost 5hrs before. Like your cook, this brisket finished much faster than I thought. The bark suffers a little from sitting so long, but other than that it was still good. Putting the cooler in direct sunlight can extend your hold time a little longer especially if used in combination with the previous suggestions. I wouldn't suggest holding one for 5 hrs on purpose, but it can be done in a pinch.

I thought the guys here have said a few times to not put meat in the cooler wrapped above 140-150 as it will still keep cooking. Am I reading them wrong on that Dwain

I take it off the cooker, wrap in a couple layers of foil and then place in the cooler. It might sit outside the cooler for 5-10 minutes. Seems I remember seeing something about the food continuing to cook as well but it never been a problem for me.

I'm not sure what you read but if you let it cool to 140* you may get in the danger zone as it cools further. I'd hate for someone to get sick.

I know you can't let it sit below 140 for long in the open cause it has a chance of bacteria reforming but in hot meat at 140 or a little higher placed in foil and in a cooler isn't that safe?

Last edited:
I know you can't let it sit below 140 for long cause it has a chance of bacteria reforming but in hot meat at 140 or a little higher placed in foil and in a cooler isn't that safe?

This is what I go by "When it comes off the cooker, it cools a bit at room temp in a pan so it stops cooking, and it gets wrapped in foil and sits in a faux cambro, an insulated box, for at least 1 or 2 hours. The foil captures natural jus for use in a sauce, and the resting helps tenderize the meat even more. This is a different phenomenon than resting meat that has just come off the grill for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing." IMHO I would not let it set out until it gets to 140*.

Good to know Dwain, I thought I was safe letting it cool down and stop cooking, which I thought was around 140-150 then foiling and storing. I will go in higher temps from now on.

Back