Hello. I found a 18.5 WSM on Craigslist and looking for some tips.

Walter Sigona

Hello, I came here to learn.
I usually cook on a 22.5 inch Weber kettle, but I wanted to add a smoker. I did some research and decided on the Weber Smokey Mountain. I heard a about the 14.5 and decided I would wait for it to save some money. I usually just cook for my wife and myself and figured it would work for us. While I was waiting I found a secondhand WSM 18.5 on Craigslist. It was well seasoned and in very good shape so I grabbed it. I cooked some beef ribs yesterday and was very pleased with the result.

Welcome to the family, Walter ! Congratulations on the WSM CL find ! The WSM is great BBQing tool, as you are finding out.

Bob

Last edited:
From the sound of it you've made some great decisions so far Walter. Welcome aboard. You came to a great place to learn.

Chris has written some very educational articles that can be found at http://virtualweberbullet.com/index.html. You can always ask any question you have here and you'll get world-class answers but I'd ck those articles out for a leg up.

Last edited:
Welcome , Walt you will never regret that purchase. The WSM is a terrific smoker. Good luck with it. :wsm:

The local grocery store had packer briskets on sale so I picked up the smallest one I could find. It's 10.5 pounds, so I figure I will give it a try on Wednesday Mourning. I tried a brisket flat once before on the Weber kettle and managed to turn it into shoe leather. We had chipped beef SoS for days. I'm hoping for better results with the WSM and I figure if I get in the Weber around one in the mourning it should be rested in time for dinner. I loaded a test run when I first got the grill and noticed this one like to sit between 250 - 275 nicely. Wish me luck.

I got my first brisket under my belt. My wife really liked it. I cooked with water in the pan and used three fist sized hickory chunks. I thought the flat was a just a little dry but good the point was much better. It went on at 6:30 am and hit 195 at 4:30 pm. I pulled it and rested it for an hour. The WSM settled in at 230 and stayed there.

Hi Walter and welcome. Now I also live in AZ and watch GL like a hawk and I can't believe I missed that one, but congrats on your find.

Ok, first picture. First butt going on the WSM.
1003035_10200699981569176_167950508_n.jpg

Back