Hello from Norway

Svein

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi guys
I must start by saying that I’m very impressed by the forum, both the amount of to the point information and the enthusiasm you display. When I discovered the impressive family photo section, I realised that any concern of being too occupied by BBQ was utterly meaningless, and that I really need to join you all.

A bit about myself. I live on the west coast of Norway. My lovely wife and I have two kids (one baby and one four year old daughter). I bought my first grill last year, a weber performer, which I absolutely love. I dream of adding a WSM, but I think that I first need to explore the possibility of the Performer. When I grew up BBQ was really just another word for grilling, so I’ve mainly done grilling and like to play with the heat. I’ve had a couple of inspirational tries with smoking last year which will be further tested this year.

I opened this year’s season last weekend with a pork tenderloin that had been in a brine for about 20 hours. It was very tasty and tender, but a bit too salty. Not sure what went wrong, maybe just too long in the brine?

Welcome to the forum :)

Regarding your tenderloin, shorten the time, and/or reduce the amount of salt in the brine.

Thanks Geir Widar
It did taste a bit too salty, I used a recipe with 3 tbsp salt, 3 tbsp sugar and 6 cups of water (pluss spices/herbs). Is there a rule-of-tumb for this. I’ve never tried it on meat before. With fish I use 10% salt in the water and keep the filets in for about 10 min (depending on thickness and type)

Welcome to the forum , brother. That weber performer will do a lot of things that a smoker will do. You'll be surprised.
Have fun with it , man.:wsm:

Welcome and enjoy the Performer.
I Thanksgiving turkey last year was great on the Performer. My wife defrosted some of that turkey two months ago and the flavor and smoke were great.
Good Luck from another noobie!

Welcome to the forum Svein!
You're gonna love it here, lots of great people grillin' and smokin' up outstanding lookin' grub!
Great information as well... no question goes unanswered.
Hope your stay is relaxing and most enjoyable!
weber%2520performer.jpg

Welcome aboard from a fellow newbie. I think I would dial back the brine time and also make sure the pork wasn't enhanced. There is little you can not cook on the performer. I have tried abut everything on my one touch. Early on I learned a ton from my Weber real grilling cookbook.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to making a lot of good food with the aid of this forum. I thinkj it is a two part thing for me, transfer my knowhow from indoor cooking and understanding the slow cooking possibilities of the Performer.

Welcome to the forum , brother. That weber performer will do a lot of things that a smoker will do. You'll be surprised.
Have fun with it , man.:wsm:
Good to hear, I must say that I find it very well built and easy to work with. Glad I didn't go for gas.

Hi Svein and welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard from a fellow newbie. I think I would dial back the brine time and also make sure the pork wasn't enhanced. There is little you can not cook on the performer. I have tried abut everything on my one touch. Early on I learned a ton from my Weber real grilling cookbook.
It was not enhanced, so it was probably a brine time issue. Thanks for the tip on the book.

Welcome! You live in a beautiful country. Years ago I worked with an older guy from Norway. For five years he told me
that he was going to retire and move back to Norway. He retired at 65, and shipped a new Corvette with a Weber kettle
on the passenger seat and floor area, a couple of the things that he liked from America. Enjoy this site and your Performer!

Thanks
That is a fantastic story :D

Hope he was able to put in a good mileage on both of them

I think we all grew up dreaming of American cars. I had a 68 Corvette poster on my wall when I was a kid

Back